How fun to find this 1909 postcard in our collection from Jeff's family. It is amazing to know that it was sent to his great grandma 100 years ago and has been held in her hands, grandma Mabel's hands, Allen's hands, Jeff's hands and Jayme & Nathan have held and read it! Five generations and 100 years of history, we will treasure it with the rest of the keepsakes.
All the text on this card was written on that little brown envelope in the front of the card. (How cool is that? It only measures about 1 1/2 inches across and 6 inches long unfolded) It was mailed to Grandma Mary as she spent New Year's in Rochester away from her family as evident by the 1 cent Benjamin Franklin stamp. LG writes and tells her "Dear Mary, (annwa) got your postal yesterday, glad to see that you are getting along so well and hope that you’ll soon be on your way home. I am out here now. We will butcher tomorrow. I will try and go home again Saturday. Mabel and Myrtle are getting along fine. They have big times, Mabel can sing nice we will all write tomorrow a big fat letter. We all wish you a Happy New Year and hope that you will try and enjoy it. With best wished from us all. L.G."There was also another New Year's card in the bunch...

I like Silly, wish you a Happy New Year and that this year will treat you better than the passed one did :-)
13 comments:
How fun to find such treasures Marsha! Happy New Year to you!
Treasured keepsakes for sure.The wishes are still the same 10 years later.I also add my wishes for a wonderful New Year filled with blessings,Ruth
Five generations reading the same postcard... very special.
Beautiful handwriting and letter writing is almost a lost art.. ...(Maybe I should speak only for myself.)
How special! And I too noticed the fine penmanship!
Happy New Year, Marsha!
I love your pictures and blogs, Marsha. My thoughts are with you and Jeff as we all remember Allen & Mary.
I love you post card from Great Grandma. What a treasure.
LeAnn
Marsha, I hope 2009 is filled with good health and happiness for you and your loved ones! I'll look forward to you sharing more of your treasured collection from Jeff's family throughout the new year.
I love these! The letter about Myrtle and Mabel:)..1917..
Silly..Oh I just get a neat feeling seeing thses.Happy New Year~
Love the old cards, what a treasure to pass down. Happy New Year to you as well.
I love your treasures!
Happy New Year, to you and your family, Marsha!
I am in awe - a 100-year-old New Year's card! How cool is that! What a treasured family memento. I'm so happy you're sharing these wonderful antiques with us, Marsha.
I'm wishing the very same sentiment to you - May this year treat you better than the passed one did ;)
How special is that..... I so very touched just seeing a lovey card written in 1917, when my parents were just youngsters.
You blog has brought me much enjoyment in 2008.... Thank you so much.
Happy New Year....
Love and Hugs
Wanda
happy new years! love the new header~ you have the most amazing treasures!
Post a Comment