Sunday, December 14, 2008

birds in the snow...

At times during the storm today we could only see about 50-100 ft out the front windows but the backyard is more protected from the wind by the evergreens and grove so it was fun to watch all the birds in the snow. A white breasted nuthatch watches me stand at the window...and the wind was rustling quite a few little feathers as this goldfinch grabbed a bite to eat.
These guys came to the feeder with the snow stuck around their heads & faces...
this one looks cold!
The following photos are not very clear but show the highlight of my day. Joseph is alive and well and has survived the hunting season so far! I have seen him occasionally this fall but it took the snow for him to come searching out the corn buffet.
He scratched out the pile at the treeline before...
inviting a lady friend to join him.
I can't wait for more and more sightings of him - wouldn't it be great if he got brave enough to come to the pile under the Christmas tree? Now that would make my week, month, year!

10 comments:

Jayne said...

These are so wonderful Marsha! I love how fluffed out and snow covered they look! And Joseph lives!!! Yay!

Peggy said...

Woohoo! Glad your pheasant is back! I hope you can entice him to your christmas tree!

Martha said...

We feed birds as well and it is always nice to know that they enjoy their snowy banquet. A pheasant and his lady -- what a wonderful site in your garden!

RuthieJ said...

In weather like that, I'm always amazed any wild things survive outdoors. Thanks Marsha for creating a backyard sanctuary for them.

Mari @ Once Upon a Plate said...

Marsha, Just when I think you cannot possibly top your previous photos of our feathered friends, my jaw drops yet again!

You capture their images so well, it's such a pleasure to come see what surprises you have in store for us.

The pheasants are gorgeous, and I'm so happy Joseph made an appearance. Each of your photos could be greeting cards,and the little Chickadee in the wreath below ~ what an exquisite Christmas card!

Very nice. Thank you so much for sharing with us. xo~m.

Cynthia said...

What a wonderful series of pictures... I love how the little birds fluff themselves out...

How wonderful that Joseph came back for a visit ... was it your food or his lady friend?

SavoringTime in the Kitchen said...

Fabulous photos! We used to have many Josephs in our yard when we first moved here over 25 years ago. Then around 20 years ago, a subdivision was built in the nearby meadow and we haven't seen them since. They are such beautiful birds.

a quiet life said...

can you turn your little building into a winter condo for the jospeh and friends?

Wanda said...

This was the best winter wonderland I've ever seen...

Awesome.

Anonymous said...

More fantastic pics, Marsha! It really is a wonderland!