The grass is green.
Flower blossoms I have seen.
The days are warm.
By evening it cools.
It's time to find the garden tools.
(author unkown)
Yesterday morning when I was outside taking photos of the tulips, I decided to put out the grape jelly feeder with a small amount of jelly just to be ready for any orioles that might be arriving in the next week or two. I had big plans to garden yesterday but it turned into a chilly, drizzly day so I spent some time posting on my blog and catching up on a few others. From where I sat with the laptop and the camera the first thing that caught my eye out the window was a warbler couple enjoying a morning bath...

I was busy typing away when a bright spot caught the corner of my eye...I turned and looked and couldn't believe my eyes...it was the first oriole of the year! Now I had only put the jelly out about 10-15 minutes before that and here he was enjoying some already. Was he here before and I just didn't notice him?

So I quickly got out some orange halves and was a little less stingy with the jelly and then made up some sugar water.

By the afternoon I was busy in the house but took time to stop and look for the oriole throughout the day. The second big surprise of the day was next...HUMMINGBIRDS! I don't ever remember seeing them here this early before. There is a male and a female coming to the sugar water. These photos are severely cropped as I was still shooting through the window but I just had to show that they are here.

Remember the
tail-less warbler I showed a few days back? Well, now there is a tail-less chickadee.

Some had suggested it is from a run in with a cat or hawk but we have no cats around. I am thinking it might be the resident kestrels or the red-tail hawk I see fly over once a week or so. The kestrels aren't cooperating with any photo shoots so here is a shot from last year.
8 comments:
AAhhh!!!
A beautiful Kestrel and those warblers playing together is priceless!! You are seriously on a roll, girl!!
Wonderful shots!
I saw my FOY orioles at a park near home on Wednesday and found them in my yard the same afternoon. I'm so happy to have them back!
Who would have thought "grape jelly", and I thought that was only with Peanut Butter sandwiches!!
Now only is your post so fun to see, but I learn something every time I come....~~~ Love it, Marsha!
I am learing so much from you bird people! The pictures are so cute of the warblers bathing together. And I especially love the BAltimore Oriole. Gawd! They are so beautiful. The color is so vibrant. Also, I've never heard of a kestrel before....but that is a gorgeous little bird. I love all the pictures.....they are just wonderful!
Love your yellow-rumps! I've officially surrendered and put away the Oriole feeder as I guess they've all already migrated through here. Maybe next year. In the meantime, I'll salivate over and covet yours Marsha. A girl can dream... :c)
Hoo-ray for orioles and hummingbirds. Looks like the warblers love that little pool of yours Marsha. Thanks for sharing the great pictures!
Oh my goodness. I just asked Kelli two days ago if I should put out my oriole feeder. Now I have my answer! Wayne and I are "up north" fishing this weekend and it snowed here yesterday. New baby goats and a new baby mule at home looking forward to getting back!
What a fun post - so much beauty. I'm jealous of the orioles, and that's a wonderful kestral capture!
Post a Comment