Monday, January 03, 2011

mosaic Monday...wildlife

I was surprised to wake up Sunday morning and see the whole garden covered in rabbit tracks. I hadn't seen a rabbit or even their tracks in the garden all winter thanks to Hershey & Ruger's regular patrols. We had a blizzard here on Saturday so I imagine their usual food source was covered and they discovered the free corn buffet on Santa's sleigh that he graciously left parked in the gazebo to feed the wildlife all winter.While rabbits might get a little expensive to feed the storm also brought in the first pheasant to feed. She was a little spooked when I saw her on the sleigh and ran before I could get the camera. Hopefully, she will be back soon and bring with her a new generation of Josephs and Johnnys.
Sunday afternoon we took a drive with the dogs and the camera and spotted a doe and her two fawns. I was thankful they just stood and looked at us so I could get some decent shots though I wished they were closer (these images are all cropped). Unlike my daughter, Jayme, who can just look in her backyard to see deer, Jeff and I usually have to go on a photographic hunt.
Have a great Monday!

7 comments:

Kate/High Altitude Gardening said...

Bunnies! Oh, I love bunnies. Have never seen one in my yard.

We've had some very nasty weather around these parts, too. So bad that I had to break down and buy winter coats for the horses. Pretty wildlife photos. Certainly adds some excitement to the average hike, doesn't it?

Happy New Year!

Unknown said...

G'day Marsha ~ What beautifully captured photos of your 'friends'. I love the outdoor life that visit us, too.

Pop over for our lovely CSN GIVEAWAY!

Have a beautiful New Year ~
TTFN ~
Hugs, Marydon

Carol said...

Love the wildlife shots, Marsha! Beautiful!

SavoringTime in the Kitchen said...

Great shots, Marsha! Hopefully, those bunnies won't take up permanent residence in your garden next spring, though. I would love to see a pheasant here again - it's been years!

Kathleen said...

I threw bread crusts out to the birds last week. Within minutes there were 25 seagulls in my yard! I won't do that again.
We have pheasant, deer, wild turkeys. Lots of critters! :)

Mollie said...

Bunnies, pheasant, deer--oh my!! Great photos--and I also don't see bunnies in my neighborhood but I do at work. Guess they feel safe living on a university campus!

Stephanie said...

Wow! This is so neat and really reminds me of home. My dad's house used to have wild pheasants and a ton of rabbits, but not so much in recent years. Trespassers would go in the woods behind the houses to hunt, and eventually, they were all hunted out.