First up is my white one - it did not have a fancy name but was labeled "Christmas Gift Amaryllis Bulb" and it promised up to 8" blossoms. So far there is only one stalk with 4 buds and this is the first bud that opened - I just measured it is 7" across and looks HUGE in person.
Nothing brightens up a cold Minnesota winter like giant blossoms on the dining room table!
I have one more amaryllis potted and it has 2 giant stalks so I look forward to showing you that one soon. These bulbs arrived with a brochure on how to care for them to make them last for years and years. I saved it and will follow it faithfully as well as add bulbs each year until I have a regular indoor garden to enjoy. In reading the tips I found out why I could never get my cheapo bulbs to rebloom, I would keep them alive till spring, plant them in the garden, dig them up right before the first frost, cut off the tops and let dry a few days and then put them in a brown paper bag in the fridge for 6 weeks before potting once again. The tip sheet that came with the new bulbs states that those steps are correct in one of the ways to get them to rebloom, but I also found out that storing them in a fridge containing apples makes them sterile. Our fridge always contains apples :( I thought I would pass on that tip to anyone else having trouble with reblooming.
Have a wonderful day! I am busy with office work and chores but every time I walk by these flowers I just smile wide :)
10 comments:
I like the double one the best! I've never seen one like that before.
These are gorgeous! How long do bulbs last? I have had a bag of them for like two years now that I purchased during a fundraiser. Do you think they would still be any good?
Beautiful blooms.They must be like rays of sunshine,even on a cloudy day.
Blessings,Ruth
Wow! Stunning! I just gave in and ordered 3 different amaryllis bulbs from American Meadows. Their current deal is 50% off each one and a free one if you order two. Thanks for giving a shout out to American Meadows. Never heard of them before.
Wow! Stunning! I just gave in and ordered 3 different amaryllis bulbs from American Meadows. Their current deal is 50% off each one and a free one if you order two. Thanks for giving a shout out to American Meadows. Never heard of them before.
What gorgeous day brighteners! I love the ones tinged in pink. I'm always amazed when plants do what they're supposed to do, like bloom right on time.
So beautiful Marsha! I have reddish orange ones this year, and I am going to try to get them to re-bloom. We shall see! Thanks for the tip.
Beautiful, Marsha, and all indoors? Gorgeous! I'd smile, too :)
They are gorgeous, Marsha! I tried growing some of the prettier varieties several years ago but didn't have good luck getting them to rebloom :(
These are wonderful. I love the colors!
Post a Comment