Friday, June 19, 2009

Birds...

I've neglected showing birds in the garden for awhile so yesterday I thought I would stage a beautiful photo op by arranging flowers by the "His hands" feeder! First to arrive near it was a female baltimore oriole - she looked puzzled by it's presence on the rock.
Soon, she was bathing nearby but totally ignoring the feeder.
I sat with the camera only long enough to eat my lunch with no takers...I think a lesson I learned was that the next time I'm going to try and stage a photo I shouldn't fill all the other feeders first as they were full of activity!

I spent the past two days weeding and have many more to go but I did notice something has been nibbling here and there in the garden. Today, I saw the nibbler.
Tonight a killdeer walked across the yard while I was outside.

I've never noticed how huge their eyes were before. I think they are quite striking looks birds.

I sure hope she isn't thinking about nesting right on the front lawn - it would take Hershey about 2 seconds to sniff out and eat any eggs there.We have several pairs of Chipping Sparrows this year and while I was taking photos of the killdeer this one definitely was "chipping". The female came and also started in with the chipping so I knew I was close to a nest and it was time to move on but not before getting a photo of the Mr. and ...
Mrs.

Have a wonderful weekend!

13 comments:

Aunt "B's" Backyard said...

Oh, that bird bath just makes me so jealous. I still can't get anyone to take a bath, just drink! You have some beautiful visitors there. Love your setup!!
It's quite imaginative, but I'm not surprised;)

Foley said...

Beautiful shots Marsha!

The "His Hands" Feeder is so cute... I'm sure you will be able to get a shot before the summer is over!

NatureStop said...

Lovely shots!! Really liked the bathing one and the killdeer looks like an interesting bird!

Four Paws and Co said...

Wonderful photos! I was amazed by all the critters. Loved the little nibbler! ☺ diane

Debbie@Mountain Breaths said...

Beautiful photos! I have seen all the birds you have shown, but not in my backyard :-( Lucky you :-)

troutbirder said...

That was a good plan. Now if I had that kind of patience....

Lynne at Hasty Brook said...

Killdeer do have big eyes and they always look a bit worried to me.

You have a great weekend too!

Darla said...

I simply adore the bird feeder, the flowers look very pretty around it. The Killdeer always remind me of formal attire.

Jayne said...

The Killdeer are so funny, aren't they? Oh, I do hope she won't nest there in the grass. Your female oriole is so beautiful!

Skoots1moM said...

always love your birdies...
good job capturing them
my birdbath was broken earlier this spring...i need to replace it especially now that it is so hot here

thx for sharing your part of nature

Ruth's Photo Blog said...

The birds must like your yard,you have quite the assortment.We also have a bunny or two on the yard,but so far,no problems.
Blessings,Ruth

A Grain of Salt said...

Marsha, you always have the most amazing bird pics. So lucky to have all those.

J @ S&S

Tina said...

Oh what wonderful lunch times you have..even if it is just an oriole..how nice! You certainly have some nice birds visiting your yard.and you caught some nice photos of them!!