Friday, December 03, 2010

holiday greetings, day 3...

Remember in the last post when I said the weather was looking to be good for the visit of my family from California & Texas? Well here is today and tomorrow's forecast and it is really white out there already!
Winter Storm Warning
Hazardous Weather Outlook

This Afternoon: Snow. High near 20. East southeast wind around 16 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. Total daytime snow accumulation of 3 to 5 inches possible.

Tonight: Snow. Low around 17. East wind 7 to 15 mph becoming north. Chance of precipitation is 100%. New snow accumulation of 2 to 4 inches possible.

Saturday: A 30 percent chance of snow before noon. Cloudy, with a high near 20. North northwest wind around 11 mph.

Saturday Night: Partly cloudy, with a low around -1. Wind chill values between -3 and -13. North northwest wind between 9 and 11 mph.

Sunday: Mostly sunny, with a high near 10. Northwest wind around 9 mph.

Sunday Night: Partly cloudy, with a low around -2.

Monday: Mostly sunny, with a high near 14.


They have all arrived safely in the state and are staying at my sister's through this storm. Hopefully we'll see them tomorrow.

I missed Dec. 2nd's holiday greetings because I was gone all day - it was National Fritters Day. Did anyone eat fritters? None were consumed in our household or yard :)
Today, Dec. 3rd has us celebrating the International Day of the Disabled Person and National Roof-Over-Your-Head Day. This is what I found on the first holiday: "The annual observance of the International Day of Persons with Disabilities, 3 December, aims to promote an understanding of disability issues and mobilize support for the dignity, rights and well-being of persons with disabilities. It also seeks to increase awareness of gains to be derived from the integration of persons with disabilities in every aspect of political, social, economic and cultural life. The theme of the Day is based on the goal of full and equal enjoyment of human rights and participation in society by persons with disabilities, established by the World Programme of Action concerning Disabled Persons, adopted by General Assembly in 1982. The official title of the Day was changed from International Day of Disabled Persons to International Day of Persons with Disabilities by General Assembly resolution 62/127 on 18 December 2007."

This is the info I found on askville on the National Roof-Over-Your-Head Day: "Today is National Roof Over Your Head Day. It is a day of appreciation for the things we have, starting with the roof over our heads. For most of us, a roof over our head signifies living in a house that protects us from the elements, keeping us warm, dry, and cozy. Unfortunately, not everyone is as lucky as you and I. There are many homeless people right here in our country. Some people live in a cardboard box on the street...... literally. There are millions of people around the world who live in poverty or disaster areas, and do not have a home to kees them comfortable and safe.
Spend a few minutes appreciating your roof and home today, along with the many thins you have. And, also make a contribution to a homeless shelter, so others can come in out of the rain."


I think the above pictured squirrel was celebrating by eating under the snow covered gazebo today. Happy National Roof Over Your Head Day!
Today, I am happy to have a roof over my head during the nasty weather outside and that my Christmas dishes are all out and displayed.
Setting up all my holiday decorations including changing the dishes in this cupboard makes me happy :)
I wish you a safe environment to live and work, especially if you have a disability and I wish everyone a warm and cozy home to live in - I'm grateful for a roof over your heads! Happy Holidays all!

8 comments:

SavoringTime in the Kitchen said...

Beautiful, festive header, Marsha! Your dish cabinet looks so pretty too.

I think we're going to be getting our first measurable snow tonight and tomorrow. I'll be happy for a roof over my head too ;)

Foley said...

Very happy for a roof over my head today!! The squirrel looks comfy..
Hope you will still be able to get together with all..Jeff will be busy making sure everyone can get out..just give him some extra lovin and a grateful smile!! (then he might not complain as much..lol)

Marigene said...

I hope your family brought warm clothing...that is too cold for me! Beautiful Christmas china, love the way you have displayed it.
Enjoy your family!

Ruth Hiebert said...

I know that I take my roof over my head too for granted.Love your Christmas dishes.
Blessings,Ruth

Debbie@Mountain Breaths said...

Marsha, I love your holiday header. Isn't it fun to decorate the dish cabinet! We don't have any snow at our home, but I bet my gazebo at our cottage has a snowy cap. Enjoy your family!

Carol said...

Very grateful for a roof over our heads! These days there is a very fine line :(

Glad your relatives arrived safely! Your dishes and cabinet look beautiful!

Mollie said...

Your photos of your Christmas dishes have put me in a festive mood! I'm coming to Wis. later this month--it's good for us California types to remember how grateful we are or should be for our weather!! Even though a woman grumbled on the Car Talk radio show last week that her car didn't have heated seats & she lives in Southern CA at the beach!!!

Rebecca said...

I think the squirrel picture is really a fantastic one...and your cabinet looks very festive with your beautiful Christmas dishes in it.