Monday, December 06, 2010

holiday greetings, day 6...


As you can see above, I had a busy and FUN weekend with family and participating in a table setting event (which I hope to share in a future post). I am behind on sending my holiday greetings so a little catch up is in order...
December 4th - National Cookie Day and Wear Brown Shoes Day
December 5th - Walt Disney's birthday, Bathtub Party Day
and today...
St. Nicholas Day, Mitten Tree Day, and Put On Your Own Shoes Day.
While I have heard of St. Nicholas Day and understand it is celebrated in many European countries I myself am not familiar with it. I have put on my own shoes for many years and do not see too much a reason to celebrate it but I love the mitten tree tradition. We have one in our church and there are several located in the area retail stores. A mitten tree is a tree put out by a charitable organization and decorated with paper mittens on which are written a child in need by sex, age, likes and dislikes. A person may take and sign out one or more mittens and buy Christmas presents specifically for the anonymous child(ren) and return them to the organization who makes sure they are delivered in time for Christmas usually along with a food basket for the entire family. Jayme & I have shopped for these "mittens" together on our yearly shopping weekend for years - this year we went out before the mitten tree was up but will both individually do our part, she through her work and me through our church. If you are able I too hope you find a tree to participate with.

Today, I wish you FUN with those you love like I did this weekend and discovering the JOY of helping others in need. Happy Holidays!

3 comments:

Rebecca said...

Haven't been here for awhile - so I'm catching up. Your header is SO beautiful! I look forward to reading more and agree with you about the JOY of helping others in need. Merry Christmas, Marsha.

Carol said...

Looks like a very fun time with family, Marsha! The little guy is adorable!

Enjoyed your Greetings, I never heard of many of these but I don't mind celebrating brown shoes day or National Cookie Day, hey I celebrate that one EVERY day :) I draw the line at a Party in my Bathtub!

Foley said...

Too cute! Love all the sisters...