Happy National Chocolate Covered Anything Day! To celebrate I covered some macaroon bars over on my
kitchen blog. It is also the 240th birthday of Ludwig Beethoven and the 237th anniversary of the Boston Tea Party.

It is also snowing here again today. As I sat having my morning coffee, I decided to take some photos of the garden where you can see that the snow is much deeper than I just showed you on Monday in
this post. The reindeer by the rock is almost buried and the snow is also much higher around the moose. The snow was falling so pretty around this bluejay and I thought it made a nice photo...

so I aimed the camera at the grove to photograph the rest of the snow covered trees and I spotted something high up in a cottonwood. A quick switch to my zoom lens and this was my view.

I could hardly believe it - a
great horned owl was all fluffed up and snoozing away!

Every once in a while he would wake and look around as a bluejay or other bird buzzed him to closely.

He even took time to groom...


but mostly he snoozed away as I watched him off and on for over an hour.

I thought this woodpecker was mighty brave coming that close to a sleeping owl.

He was startled awake by the noise of J arriving home with the payloader from his morning snow removal jobs...

He looked around anxiously for a few seconds...

before turning and...

getting into position...

for lift off! I couldn't focus manually fast enough for the wings but aren't those feet cute?

I had heard the payloader coming and figured it would spook him so I got the camera ready and wasn't disappointed in being able to see him leave. It wasn't until I downloaded the photos that I noticed in the 3 where he is alert to the sound of Jeff arriving home that there was a white breasted nuthatch in a tree branch behind him. Seeing this magnificent bird made my morning!
Happy holidays to all - may an unexpected surprise bring you JOY today as well!
9 comments:
Very cool!
Awesome! I so love capturing the birds. We are having snow, also.
Have a lovely winter's day ~
TTFN ~ Hugs, Marydon
This made my day Marsha! You know how much I love owls ;o) The blue jay is mighty nice too.
What awesome pictures.
Envious... Owls are my fav :)
I'm all about chocolate covered anything!
What an amazing capture of the owl, Marsha! I love the shot of him flying away. We had an owl in one of our trees early this fall but it was too dark to get a decent shot.
WOW, Beautiful capture's, Marsha! I thought of Debbie when you mentioned the Owl. He's magnificent!
I would celebrate chocolate covered Day every day :)
Such incredible photos. Those owl photos are amazing.
- The Tablescaper
WOW Marsha! That is SO cool!!!!
Post a Comment