Monday, November 01, 2010

gratitude...

November is a month of gratitude with a national holiday to celebrate "giving thanks" or Thanksgiving. It is a time to be thankful for all we are blessed with throughout the year and to celebrate those blessings together with family, friends and a giant meal. I like to give thanks every day of the year - not only for the big things in my life but the little unexpected surprises in each day. My daughter, Jayme, and I challenged each other to spend the year 2009 writing down 3 things we are grateful for each day and even on the most boring and mundane days there were small little happenings which we were grateful for. She even made me this frame that hangs in my dining room as a reminder to always (3 times) remember to write them down in my daily planner.

I challenge you, all my readers, to do it for the month of November. Do it for yourselves - discover the little unexpected things to be grateful for in each and every day - once in a while throw in a "big" thing as I am about to do on today's number 1. On the days I am able to blog this month, I will list 3 things and if you would like, I would love it if you shared your 3 with me in the comments. Don't feel obligated and if they are personal I understand, if you only have one I understand - hearing other's share little "gratefuls" allows one to look beyond what they usually see to discover new ways to be grateful in our everyday lives. Even on our worst days look for the blessings to be grateful for - as we walked out of the hospital on the day we lost Ethan we read a quote on a church sign that was definitely a "grateful", too personal to share here but one that gave us hope.

Today, I am grateful for...
1. Benjamin and Alexis, who came last night with their parents trick or treating, who are so loved and cared for as their childhood has been interrupted by first their mom's serious illness 3 years ago and now their dad's. I am grateful for modern medicine and one of the best clinics in the nation being in our home state of MN, to direct Justin's medical care and our faith in God so that their daddy will always be there for them.

It's sort of frivolous to follow that "biggie" with 2 small but that is what the challenge is all about.
2. I am grateful for my husband's trail camera. It is so fun when he switches the memory cards and we see a 100 or so photos of local deer strolling about at all hours of the day.
The nighttime infrared shots are not as clear or in color but who knew they locked antlers at 2:29 am or nursed at 10:37 pm.
One 3 minute time span shows 3 bucks meeting, the biggest one trying to chase away the smaller two and more antler wrestling.

3. This one is really bad but today I am also grateful for some leftover trick or treat candy so that I could enjoy a good piece of chocolate with my coffee while composing this post.

It doesn't count as one of the 3 gratefuls because it is an every day given, but I am also very grateful for all who come and read my blog - it doesn't matter if you comment or not, just that it provides you with some enjoyment or a reason to keep coming back. When the counter stops increasing is when I stop blogging and where else would I show all those photos I take :) I am truly grateful.

11 comments:

Ruth's Photo Blog said...

Great idea.
I am thankful for each day i get to spend with my husband.Each day is made special due to the fact that they are numbered.
I am thankful for a sunny day and warm temps.and last but not least I am thankful for my loved ones.
blessings,ruth

Carol said...

I am grateful for a very nice group of ladies I met online that gets me through each day with a laugh and a smile :)

I am grateful for my family, whom I love dearly!

and I am grateful that tomorrow I will have three more things to be grateful for again!

Nice post, Marsha! Who knows what else those deer are doing in the middle of the night? But I bet Kathleen doesn't want to look, LOL! Great shots!

Kathy said...

I'm grateful that both my two grown sons have steady jobs and my husband is still working. (I'm unemployed)

I'm grateful for being able to sit and hand out treats outside during "trick or treat" time and see all the cute costumes the little kids had on. And the left over candy, too!

And finally, I'm grateful for the sunny day we had today here in MN especially since I know winter is coming soon.

Anonymous said...

1. Less pain today
2. A darling husband who does everything he can to make our life better daily.
3. Oh, my critters without a doubt.

Hugs
Tammy

Kate/High Altitude Gardening said...

Hi, Marsha;
Fun post and lovely sentiments, too. I need to spend more time giving thanks to all the good things around me.

Kathy said...

Marsha, Thanks for a great post and I accept your challenge. For the month of November I will list 3 things daily that I'm grateful for.
I am grateful that this first day of November is a bright sunny day. Tonight I will send a letter to the little girl in India that we sponsor and I am humbled and grateful that she tells me she remembers me in her prayers everyday. I'm grateful for my friends, who have busy lives but still find the time to get together.

SavoringTime in the Kitchen said...

What a great idea, Marsha. Yes, there is always something to be grateful for and we should remember to think about them more often when times are rough.

1. I'm grateful for a loving husband of 36 years, my two daughters who still live in our area and my grandson.

2. I'm grateful for many wonderful, caring friends.

3. I'm grateful for this beautiful day.

Love the deer shots!

Mollie said...

Gratitude is one of the best attitude adjusters! And I love your challenge, Marsha.

So, to begin:
1. I am grateful for your blog. I have shared it with friends and family. (And I'm indirectly grateful to Megan's twins' blog which is how I found you!)
2. I am grateful for my dear four-legged kids: Puppy, Precious and Lily.
3. I am grateful for my dear friend who came out to San Diego last weekend to help celebrate my birthday. Truly a gift.

And Marsha, if your blog counter ever does stop moving, PLEASE check on all of us first, before you stop blogging! ;-) Hugs.

Mollie said...

I just realized I'm already a day behind in your challenge so here are my 3 gratitudes for yesterday:
1. Grateful for the beautiful sunny day and the walk I took with my dog.
2. Grateful I had the day off from work--took a mini-staycation.
3. Grateful for the birthday card I recieved from one of my sisters yesterday. Very meaningful.

Jennifer Boyle Penney said...

Wonderful post, Marsha!

I'm grateful for:
1) The love of all my friends and family
2) Living in a place in the world where opportunity is so abundant
3) Brownies and ice cream (best food combo ever)

Auntie Cake said...

Hi Marsha,
I'm still here reading! It's so much fun to see your gardens and green grass. It seems like ages since I have seen green grass, and thanks for the reminder about what a beautiful fall we had! I need that right about now.
Kate