

Holy Trinity Episcopal church, Luverne, MN. This church was built in 1891 of Sioux Quartzite, a rock that was quarried locally.


It was placed on the National Register of Historical Buildings in 1975.

One piece of modern construction on the beautiful building is the handicap accessiblty ramp.


Just down the block from this historic church is the Rock County Courthouse also built from locally quarried Sioux Quartzite in 1888 and renovated in 1988 at a cost of $1 million.

The Sioux Quartzite quarry where the rock for these buildings came from is now part of
Blue Mounds State Park. The Blue Mounds Interpretive Center is built into the side wall of the former quarry.

It is the former home of author Frederick Manfred.

The home is literally built onto the quartzite wall with odd room projections and stairwells...

The restroom was no exception.

1. I'm grateful that I live in a country with freedom of speech and religion.
2. I'm grateful that J & I are fortunate enough to be able to afford cycles and enjoy our excursions out and about in our beautiful state, discovering steeples, parks and more history than we ever expected.
3. I'm grateful for chocolate chip pancakes with strawberries :)
7 comments:
What gorgeous buildings constructed with this stone! The colors in it are amazing. Thanks for sharing Marsha. Have a great day!
What beautiful buildings! I love how interesting they are!
Beautiful buildings, especially the courthouse. Have a great up-coming week, Marsha.
Thanks for the vicarious tour, Marsha! Here's my list for the day:
1. I'm grateful I saw these beautiful photos of Sioux quartzite, especially the ones inside the Manfred home.
2.I'm grateful for kind people.
3. I'm grateful for deep slow breathing, which brings me back to some sense of balance.
I am grateful buildings have handicapped entrances now. Having had a sister in a wheelchair, it would have added to her short life to be able to go places.
I also think people who park in handicapped parking if they are not handicapped should come back to find their car has self destructed! :)
I am grateful to count you as a friend who comes to visit even though I forget to come to the garden blog. Still waiting for a kitchen entry! :)
Grateful for an extra hour of sleep, though it didn't seem like enough. Grateful for my church community; they're such good people. Grateful for my home.
I have seen this Church..the steeple drew me in one day when I was at the Courthouse - which is gorgeous!
I am grateful for my sisters call Sunday afternoon after I had raked leaves to invite me up for grilled hamburgers!!
Post a Comment