The spider weaves a sticky web
To capture bugs to eat.
What keeps the spider's sticky web
From sticking to her feet?
Spider webs are very tricky
Because not all the strands are sticky.
Unlike the passing hapless fly,
The spider knows which strands are dry.
But if she accidentally stands
Upon one of the sticky strands,
She still would not get stuck, you see--
Her oily body slides off free.
(Amy Goldman Koss) 
I saw this spider drop from a lisanthus yesterday and upon closer inspection saw that it was spinning a web. It created the main spokes (first shot) by dropping from point to point and then started at the outside perimeter and webbed towards the center.

It was still working on the center section...

when this poor little bee flew into the side. It quickly went over and rolled it around and around wrapping it in silk...

and then took it underneath a lisanthus blossom for a private meal. This whole process from starting the web to capturing the meal took about 15-20 minutes...amazing!
1 comment:
Oh....I don't like spiders....but this spider is very unusual to me. I haven't seen a spotted one like that. I have watched a large spider weave a web and it was so fascinating that I just couldn't pull myself away. They sure do some beautiful work! And I made the pictures larger.....just wonderful shots!
Post a Comment