Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Outdoor Wednesday...Backyard Photo Shoot...

For this week's Outdoor Wednesday, hosted by Susan, A Southern Daydreamer I decided to set up a little photo shoot on the rock with my faux pumpkin birdhouse and flowers from the garden as a backdrop. First to arrive was this bluejay wondering "what the heck the pumpkin was for?" After his curiousity wore off he was ready for his close up.
Next to arrive was a european starling already in winter plumage...
and soon a yellow rumped warbler stopped in for a quick swim...
while a second one waits his turn.
The robin's are the most frequent visitor to the rock...sometimes in groups of a dozen or so.
Fall migration is in full swing and I am thrilled to host the nashville warblers...
their white eye ring makes their eyes look huge!
A mourning dove...
followed by a couple of yellow warblers having a quick swim.
An immature eastern phoebe perches high while scouting for insects...
and a goldfinch stops in for a drink.
My favorite sighting yesterday was this female indigo bunting...do you see the faint blue in her feathers. I love indigo buntings and this is the first one I have seen in 2009 - sadly there were no bright blue males this spring.
Tomorrow we take the October 1st garden walk...the last one of the growing season. We had frost last night, it was not a killing frost but I know the garden's blossoming days are very limited.

Thank you Susan for hosting Outdoor Wednesdays! Please click her name at the beginning of the post to see all the other bloggers participating.

22 comments:

Lynne at Hasty Brook said...

Such a lovely bird collection and backdrop.

Raji said...

wow..lovely photo shot..love the colors ..orange..blue and all colors...

Darla said...

I love it when you do your backyard photo shoots. You have a great variety of birds visiting you. FROST!!! Oh no, not yet!

Richard said...

Great series of pictures. Enjoy the birds now they will be gone by tomorrow.

Anonymous said...

How wonderful to have the equipment to capture these beautiful birds in photos. I love watching Birds but don't have the camera for it.
Mama Bear

Kathleen said...

Beautiful, Marsha..your pics are amazing!
No frost here, YET..but then we will get Indian Summer..

Peggy said...

Your rock is quite the bird magnet. What a variety of visitors! Nice shots!

Glenda/MidSouth said...

Great photos! Thanks for sharing.

Wildflowerhouse said...

I just love visiting your beautiful garden. The birds add so much to a garden don't they. Have a nice day!

Mary Bergfeld said...

Your photos are absolutely gorgeous. Thank you for sharing them with us. I hope you are having a wonderful day.

❀~Myrna~❀ said...

Marsha, you have such a beautiful garden ! The pics are outstanding .
~Myrna

Valerie said...

Just love your bird shots! Very nice!

SavoringTime in the Kitchen said...

Wonderful shots, Marsha! I love the cute yellow warblers. You have such a wonderful variety of birds that visit your lovely garden!

Ruth's Photo Blog said...

I like how you set up the background for some amazing photos.I look forward to every visit to your blog,knowing that the scenes will be great.Thanks.
Blessings,Ruth

Cynthia said...

Marsha, that is certainly a popular rock AND what a wonderful variety of birds.

I love the look on the bluejay's face. We see a lot of them around here and they definitely have strong personalities. .... Another lovely post.

Foley said...

Gorgeous shots again! I love the colors on the feathers of the starling... Have to get my book out everytime you post bird photos !!

Becky K. said...

A very lovely post. I am constantly wishing for the time and talent to capture the birds in photos. It requires patience...not my strength.
I admire your diligence.

Becky K.
Hospitality lane

ChrisJ said...

Gorgeous colors and photos! I always love to see birds from the other parts of the country.

Jayne said...

Love your backyard photo shoot Marsha! We didn't see any buntings this year either. She's beautiful.

A Grain of Salt said...

Marsha, amazing... fantastic pics!

Ms. Bake-it said...

Wow, what a fantastic photo shoot Marsha! You completely captured the beautiful birds in your area.

Thank you for sharing them with us!

~ Tracy

Tina said...

You certainly have a lot of neat birds visit your back yard..and I can see why...so many perches and feeders and lots of fun water to drink and bath in ... how neat is this!!