Saturday, September 05, 2009

September garden walk...side and barn gardens

My sedum wheelbarrow planter on the side of the garage is all filled out and looking great these days...as are the rest of the side beds.
From here we can head over to my barn garden...notice how the robins have over half the mountain ash berries picked off already?
The barn garden is a mixture of flowers and veggies. I am growing tomatoes, peppers, cucumbers and herbs. This shot shows John Huxtable clematis climbing the barn red trellis. Next year I want to add more white flowers and make it a "white garden" and expand a little out towards the firepit with a few veggies.

I should have never hung the Hershey's milk choc cow sign on the barn as Hershey thinks this is her private garden. She has to be a healthy dog because she sure eats her share of vegetables. Here she is with a freshly picked pepper on the ground...but her favorite veggie is cucumbers and she picks and eats them daily. Here she demonstrates how you have to scope out the vine for the fattest cuke...
before latching on and giving a yank to pull it off the vine.
Looks like she found a good sized one and...
now just needs to find a shady spot to enjoy it. She does eat most of them but sometimes picks more than she can eat and half eaten ones are laying all over our yard and front steps.
This is the reason why I no longer have a zuchinni plant as the whole plant came out with her first picking!

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Marsha, all of your garden pictures are beautiful. If I had to pick a favorite I suppose it would always have to be one with a dog in it - your Hershey is a comic - who would ever think that a dog would love his veggies so much, makes me smile.

Chris said...

Hmmm, Hershey's interest in cucumbers sounds like a little boy I know.

Ryan loves to grab a cucumber as soon as we get to the grocery store. By the time we check out, he usually has eaten about 2/3, peel and all.

Marsha said...

Hershey eating cucumbers - that's so funny. How cute is that!!!

Don't you hate to see summer go? sigh

Foley said...

Got a kick out of Hershey and his veggies! At least he's living healthier.
All looks so nice - love the sedum wheelbarrow.

Jayne said...

Everything looks so good Marsha! Hey, email me if you want to learn an easy, breezy way to make your photos larger. I finally figured it out!
journeythroughgraceATgmailDOTcom

Darla said...

Your gardens are beautiful. I always click to enlarge every one of your photos....Hershey eats veggies? That's so funny!

Cynthia said...

Marsha, your gardens are beautiful, but it's Hershey that brings a smile to my face. She is a beauty and a character. ... How fun (or maybe not) about the cucumbers and zucchini.

SavoringTime in the Kitchen said...

That is so funny that Hershey loves cucumbers! Great series of shots, Marsha!

Bonnie said...

Your gardens look gorgeous, and Hershey has great taste!

Robin Lambright said...

Very funny!

My puppy tried to pick a few cuc's but was unsuccessful. I found several cuc's still on the vine that had been gnawed on. He also love to toss around the cherry tomatoes that fall off onto the ground. He never eats them he just loves playing with them.

Blessings
Robin

Carol said...

Hershey is a pip! Eats more vegetables than a lot of kids I know! Love when Hershey comes on the walk!

RuthieJ said...

Hershey's so funny!
Sophie picked a big round squash this summer but not for eating--she wanted me to throw it like a ball. She does the same thing with windfall apples.