Thursday, July 16, 2009

Silently Soaring...














I was sitting on the patio yesterday reading the mail and occassionally I would look to see if any birds were coming to the feeders or the watering rock when I noticed a shadow moving across the garden. I looked up and was greeted by the sight of this hawk gliding over and over again until he was finally chased off by the crows. I think he checked out the garden for at least 15 minutes ;)

15 comments:

Darla said...

Excellent captures Marsha!!

Ruth's Photo Blog said...

Amazing shots.He must have been fairly low,or you have a large telephoto lens.
Blessings,Ruth

Tina said...

...and such a beauty he was too!! I bet he was checking out all those wonderful houses and feeders you have around your house..what a treat to see him for so long!! Great series of shots and you couldn't have asked for a nicer blue sky as our back drop!! ;-)

Debbie@Mountain Breaths said...

What a natural gift to be entertained for fifteen minutes! When I saw the series of shots, I knew he must have been circling around for a while. Great photos Marsha!!

Anonymous said...

Great pictures! When I see those care free birds soaring like that it makes me wish I could experience that feeling for just even a few minutes!

blessings
mary

SavoringTime in the Kitchen said...

I love watching them here too. Beautiful captures, Marsha!

Cynthia said...

Amazing pictures, Marsha. I'm surprised that a crow could chase away the hawk. The hawk is a beauty.

Cynthia said...

Amazing pictures, Marsha. I'm surprised that a crow could chase away the hawk. The hawk is a beauty.

From the Old InkWell said...

Awesome! Wonder what he was looking for?

BTW, I just realized you weren't on my blog list. I have been following your posts, but didn't have you showing on my blog face, but now I do. :)

PS. Don't know why it's called a cup towel?? Must be one of those southern things again. LOL!

From the Old InkWell said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
troutbirder said...

I think he must have been very hungry! :)

troutbirder said...

I think he must have been very hungry! :)

RobinfromCA said...

Great photos! I saw one of these fellows just sitting on my back fence the other day. We never have them here in the neighborhood and it made me a bit nervous since he could carry our little pup away in a second! Yikes!

Robin@Miscellaneous Thoughts

RuthieJ said...

Gorgeous photos Marsha!
From the photos in my field guide, I'm thinking it's probably a juvenile Eastern Red-Tailed Hawk.

A Grain of Salt said...

Marsha, amazing pics!