
I see you there shining bright,
Following the sun and its path of light.
With your petals of yellow and leaves of green,
How very easily you are seen.
The little birds take great delight
In playing round you, from day to night.
(Katherine Lane)

After many years of not growing sunflowers I planted six different varieties this spring. I am really loving them - they give a wonderful tall backdrop to the garden and are another bird magnet. The goldfinches, chickadees and sparrows are eating the seeds as soon as they form and this photo is a yellow warbler eating those pesky green beetles that are all over them.

He's hard to see unless you enlarge this photo but a hummingbird was also attracted to one. So for today, I am loving my flowers of sunshine but maybe you want to ask me again after the frost when I am trying to dig out the stalks!
No comments:
Post a Comment