5 months ago
Wednesday, September 14, 2011
goodbye garden color?
We are in a hard freeze warning tonight with a low of 27 degrees forecast so I am expecting to lose much of my annual color tonight. Let's take one last garden walk...first up a shot showing the pond and the annuals in front of it...
and a view of the "rock" side of the pond and the cabin.
The hummingbird garden borders the patio and I can pull up a chair 3 ft away and the hummers feed right in front of me - I definitely will be replanting salvias in this area again next year!
Behind the hummingbird garden is the Pine Lady with the fairy garden, Pine Hollow, below. Do you see my beautiful pink hardy hibscus? I covered it with a blanket as it is just filled with buds and the huge blossoms just make me smile - I'm not ready for that one to freeze yet.
Let's take the path to the cabin, I've pulled the dead poppies and planted some flowering kale, a magnolia tree and a new clematis in the area to the right.
This view to the left and the side of the rock shows my fall mums aren't even blooming yet - how could we be in a freeze warning?
I've been busy in the back of the garden, I transplanted the huge rooguchi clematis to the side of the back arbor and I've been digging, dividing and replanting the iris garden.
The middle garden has also seen lots of work lately, I dug out all the iris to divide as well as the overgrowth of brown eyed susans and anise hyssop. I replanted iris divisions, several new perennials including tomato soup coneflowers(I sure hope they overwinter well!), a pom pom cypress, a dogwood and a snowball viburnum in tree form.
As we walk the path to the clematis covered gazebo frogs are jumping into the pond with an almost constant spashing. I'm beginning to really dislike those guys so I hope the cooler weather finds them moving on. They distract me so much I forgot to put down the chair cushions before taking the photo - I usually leave them standing upright because they dry off faster :)
Exiting the gazebo we see the butterfly garden with only a few phlox left blooming as well as a morning glory. The yellow mums are just starting to blossom.
The view of the red door & clematis fence. The brown plants in front are the sweet williams I have left go to seed and babies are sprouting up everywhere.
As we leave the backyard we see the late afternoon sun reflecting off the barn, I didn't think to walk around and show the back which is still looking great as well.
A quick shot of the front bed before I got distracted by a frog jumping out of one of the pillar planters at me. After that I forgot to even photograph the rose garden!
Does anyone else have an unusual amount of frogs this year? My husband says they are all over our entire yard when he mows and at night many hop into our shop when the big door is open.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Marsha you still have so much color....a freeze warning, oh dear! Does your hardy hibiscus set seed? I cannot find a hardy hibiscus here other than the white ones with the red center. I started a new blog
http:hundredsofideas.wordpress.com
I do hope you will visit.
I could stay here forever!
I looked and looked for the hibiscus. Now I need to do some research. (I thought it was what I also call "Rose of Sharon", but I didn't recognize "Rose of Sharon" in your picture.) I have SO much to learn!
Post a Comment