Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Work???

Looks like the goldfinches are wondering how I get any work done! One of the pitfalls from working from home is distractions...really was amazing I got anything done yesterday with these scenes right outside my window. The orchard orioles have arrived and prefer fresh oranges...
over the jelly preferred by the baltimore orioles.
The rose-breasted grosbeaks are so fun to watch - I wish all of these stayed for the whole summer but most of them are just moving through. In the one shot there are 5 males and a female!
The hummingbirds are busy dive bombing each other while staking their feeder territories, I could watch them all day. Once my sister called me and asked what kind of hummingbird had a black neck - I told her none that lived around here as we only get ruby throated ones. Now I see that unless the light is perfect their ruby neck shows up as black :)
Some of these shots were taken this morning and it is so windy outside. You can see the ruffled feathers on several shots and I don't know how the hummingbird manages to fly and steady himself in the wind - amazing.

4 comments:

Ruth Hiebert said...

Work can wait when this kind of beauty is all around.Thanks for sharing your birds.

Marigene said...

You have the most wonderful array of birds...all beautiful. I don't know if we have any Baltimore orioles here or not, have never seen one...maybe too far west? I love to watch the finches and hummingbirds, though.

Darla said...

Oh Marsha, I'm sure it is very challenging to stay focused on work with everything beautiful happening outside!

Kate/High Altitude Gardening said...

Such fabulous photos, Marsha! It's an absolute delight to visit your blog and see the way you capture these little birds.