Old North Baptist Church, Nacogdoches, Texas While the church building and steeple were not as impressive as some I've photographed - we really did enjoy a walk through the historic cemetery. I've seen gravestones shaped like tree trunks in various cemeteries (which I've been told symbolizes a "life cut short") but this is the first monument I've seen shaped like a stack of logs.
Very interesting - I always knew many of the cemeteries in the south were segregated in some way but this is the first time I actually have read about it..I'm surprised they even mentioned it. It's odd in a way but walking through cemeteries can be a wealth of information and your curiosity is piqued. More fun is coming up with your own "scenarios" as to what may have happened to some.
When I see a steeple (bell tower) like that I always imagine a very long rope hanging down to ring it!
I love old cemeteries.The saddest are always the childrens graves with the sweet inscriptions usually with a sleeping reference. Little sleeping angels.
I've seen logs in cemeteries too. I know that some are related to Woodmen of the World insurance which is also kind of like a fraternity. I love the old iron fences.
4 comments:
Very interesting - I always knew many of the cemeteries in the south were segregated in some way but this is the first time I actually have read about it..I'm surprised they even mentioned it.
It's odd in a way but walking through cemeteries can be a wealth of information and your curiosity is piqued. More fun is coming up with your own "scenarios" as to what may have happened to some.
When I see a steeple (bell tower) like that I always imagine a very long rope hanging down to ring it!
Great post....
Great post, Marsha! I find cemeteries so interesting, and the old ones have such rich history!
The inscriptions on the grave markers are so touching! Great addition to your steeple Sundays, Marsha!
I love old cemeteries.The saddest are always the childrens graves with the sweet inscriptions usually with a sleeping reference. Little sleeping angels.
I've seen logs in cemeteries too. I know that some are related to Woodmen of the World insurance which is also kind of like a fraternity. I love the old iron fences.
Post a Comment