
I have two types of woodpeckers visiting the feeders daily - the downy woodpeckers and the hairy woodpeckers. The photo above is a downy and the photo below is a hairy...can you tell the differences?

The downy woodpeckers are much smaller and have a shorter beak...

and the hairy woodpeckers have a longer more pointy beak and are almost as large as a bluejay. They also announce their presence at the feeders with their constant loud squeaking/chirping call.

Another sure way to tell the difference is by the inside of their tail feathers, below you will see the black dotted lines on the little downy...

while the hairy has all white and a little buff showing.

The feeders are very active in the snowfall today so I was lucky enough to capture both of them at once. The larger hairy is on the suet ball while little Mr. Downy waits his turn.


Finally, the downy has his turn - here you can tell his size in comparison to the ball. Another thing is the hairy woodpeckers are much more shy - they are easily spooked and will fly off whereas the little downy woodpeckers will just stay or "hide" behind the feeder branch.
13 comments:
I had to look at them twice to follow what you were saying. They looked identical to me at first glance! Gorgeous photos, what a cute little bird. :D
This was an excellent post.We have both of these at our feeders as well.
Blessings,Ruth
Oh how pretty they are. I say this every time I visit your blog, but I don't know how you capture such wonderful photos of the birds. Thanks for the lesson. I would never have known there was a bit of difference. Love your header too. laurie
These are beautiful captures..I'm a little confused..what Woodpecker does not have red on it's head?
Great series of photos. Good comparison shots for those who might not see them often.
Another set of wonderful pictures, Marsha. I enjoy knowing the differences between the two birds. But, I probably wouldn't have noticed them without your information.
Gorgeous photos and wonderful information. Thank you!
These are wonderful. I always at some point remember to get to your blog at some point during the winter because I love your snow and bird photos.
Great post and photo's. I was going back and forth as you wrote. Amazing. I also love that sweet feeder. Stay warm!
You take such fantastic photos!! Love the 'look' of the snow falling in the background..but I'm beginning to hate the stuff!!
Like the little downy one the best....
The downy woodpecker is a frequent visitor to my backyard.
I'm so glad that you were lucky enough to have two species of woodpecker at your feeders at one time, So that you can explain the differences between the two because it's possible that I may not have notice had I had these two visitors.
Lovely pictures.
Simply PERFECT comparison photos Marsha!! I have never had a Hairy at my feeders, sad to say. But I have tons of the Donwys visiting. :c)
That was nice you got Downy and Hairy to pose side-by-side. That's the best way to see their size comparison. Great shots Marsha!
Post a Comment