
I just got back from spending several days in the lakes region of central MN. On my drive home I was thinking that even though a frozen lake full of fish houses is a common sight here in MN, maybe my readers in the warmer states would like to see...

how a beautiful lake that is blue and filled with fishing boats in July is frozen white and covered with cars, pickups and fish houses in January & February.

The houses are simple homemade ones, recycled campers or
deluxe manufactured ones which include bunk beds, stoves and all the luxuries of home.

It was a gray cloudy day today so sorry for the photo quality. Of course yesterday was bright and filled with with sunshine which means the area groundhogs probably saw their shadows leaving us with 6 more weeks of winter. Poor Ole was seriously under dressed for the 8 degree temps!
11 comments:
You are so right about those of us down south interested in seeing this. I just can't believe people do this kind of thing! Aren't they afraid the ice will break under the heavy load of those RVs? We wouldn't dare drive over a frozen lake here! I love reading your blog, Marsha and seeing what you're up to in your part of our nation. :)
I only see stuff like this on the television...AMAZING!! Thanks for sharing this....amazing..
Mercies, but that looks like it would be just so frigid out there!! Do they really catch a bunch of fish?
Marsha, I enjoyed looking through the link of manufactured ice houses ... amazing. Love seeing the pictures of the frozen lake with the cars and houses on it.
It always amazed me that people are so brave to take such huge vehicles out of the ice! Yes, poor Ole is underdressed!
Wow ~~ Marsha, this was a first for me to see such a sight!
Houses on the ice...campers on the ice... it must be very thick!!!!!!
Burrrr.. I better go get my sweater!!
What a great post. With all this snow we are having it is hard to tell there is a lake there. Stay safe and warm.
Having grown up around these fish shacks I take them for granted but as I read the comments I realize how very strange they must be to people who 'aren't from around here.'
Should we spill the beans and explain that they're used primarily for beer drinking? :)))
How cool that you can drive on a lake and park in front of a little house :) Not around here on Long Island. Never saw it! but we are getting a little snow today! Poor Ole :) Poor Marsha, you must be freezing, too!
This is definitely not anything you'd ever see here in the desert :-)
I find it fascinating and I'm so glad you shared these photos. We don't have anything like Ole either!
Blessings,
Marcia
Post a Comment