Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Outdoor Wednesday...6 month flashback

I haven't blogged for a few days because I am sick of winter and the only thing to take a photo of is the birds. Yesterday, I took the camera with me in the car hoping to see some wildlife but all I found to show you was what our road looks like...with the snow banks higher than the road it doesn't take much for the wind to fill it in. We had so much snow on our roof that today the guys scooped it off and my patio view is this (snow piled as high as the frame for our canvas gazebo) but it is still better than ice jams and a leaking roof.
Today's view of the backyard showing the rock fountain...
and flashing back 6 months to July 17th. We ate dinner under the canvas gazebo and our view was the rock fountain and a lush garden.
No ground covered in white - only color...glorious color!
July 17th happened to be one of the days, I staged a photo shoot to catch birds at the "His hands" feeder...
and I got more than birds on the rock!
How I miss the COLOR and watching birds bathe on the flowing water...
I am so easily entertained by their twists and turns but at least this week I have figure skating to watch.
One more flashback...this one 50 something years ago today! The day my husband was born, when a mother had to wear a mask to hold her own baby and stayed in the hospital for a week after a normal delivery.
Happy Birthday Jeff! I love you :)

22 comments:

Darla said...

I remember the Hands feeder and when you put it out..I love the snow photos, I can imagine how you must be tired of it.......your garden photos are spectacular and can't wait to see the emerging foliage come spring...I know you will post photos when it all starts happening!!

Cynthia said...

July certainly was more colorful. :) And eating outside does seem long ago.

You've certainly had a lot of snow; your area needs a long warm spell sooner than later.

Happy Birthday to Jeff ... neat photo.

Mollie said...

Your husband looks like he was a healthy, cute, full-sized baby! Things have changed so much (I'm also in my 50s) re: having children; my friends and I joke about how none of us should have survived back then given all the gizmos today. Ha ha!

Ruth's Photo Blog said...

Wow.that road looks pretty bad. Many of our country roads look similar.Love the 'flashback' photos.It is nice to see the bright colors.Thanks.
Blessings,Ruth

Natasha in Oz said...

These pictures are so beautiful. I know you must be sick of the snow but since I am from a city where it never snows I just love the look of it all.

I really hope that the Spring weather arrives for you soon.

Best wishes,
Natasha.

From the Old InkWell said...

oh, I can't believe you have a photo of this! And I can't believe they had to wear a mask and stay in the hospital for a WEEK!

Wildflowerhouse said...

Wow you really have had a hard winter. Brings back memories of my trecks to the bus for high school in St. Paul. Huge drifts. I so love your beautiful garden and just bet you can't wait to be planting again soon. Take care and stay warm.

Cindy (Applestone Cottage) said...

Your place is so gorgeous Marsha! The colorful garden shots just made my day! If it's any consolation, my place looks a lot like yours right now covered in snow. Cindy

Debbie@Mountain Breaths said...

Oh Marsha, I needed that color first thing in the morning! My day is made :-) Hang in there...spring is just around the corner. *wink*

Foley said...

Wow! It is always so much worse in the country!
The July photos look much more inviting!!

Bonnie said...

I love the photo of dinner for 2, the wine glasses, and the view of your garden. I can’t wait to sit outside and enjoy a meal. What a fun post to see the snow and what will come in a few months. Lots of color! I can’t wait!!!

sandy said...

I love your flashback photos.

jmatts said...

Sounds like cabin fever. It's just the season for trying recipes and reading books. Garden work can wait a little. That's what I keep telling myself anyway! And our spring in western MT comes 3-4 wks later than yours. :P
LOVE the view from the table...the dishes, the food, the wine, the flowers & trees...who wouldn't want to be sitting there?!

RuthieJ said...

Oh Marsha, it's so nice to see those colorful flowers and green vegetation. We don't have nearly as much snow as you do but I still won't miss it when it finally melts!

Belated Happy Birthday to Jeff!

Jayne said...

Oh what a joy to scroll down and come across that first photo of your garden in July! Like Dorothy opening the door to Oz!! Sigh... maybe it won't be too much longer.

What a photo of your hubby with his mom. Glad we've come a long way since then in terms of medical care! A belated Happy B'day to Jeff!

Auntie Cake said...

Okay Marsha,
I feel as if I have died and gone to heaven! Your garden is S-P-E-C-T-A-C-U-L-A-R!!! Isn't it the greatest that we have wonderful pictures of what is to come? (Did I mention how spectacular your garden is???) I could only dream of having a garden like yours. I do have the same road though! Wish I had the garden, and not the road... And I love the picture of your hubby and his mom. I didn't know they made moms wear a mask! Oh my, have we come a long ways!
Kate
PS- Spectacular!!!
And Happy Birthday to your honey!

jalynn01 said...

Yep! That's winter and I thought we had it bad..Even tho we had a lot of snow not even anything near what you get.. I was so desperate for something different I did a blog post on icicles..haha Love the flashback picts.. I wanted to sit right down and have dinner with you in that first flashback.. salad looked inviting.. and I really enjoyed the picture of your mother in law with the new born..husband..Happy Birthday Jeff...

Have a great day Marsha.
Jalynn

Kate/High Altitude Gardening said...

What a marvelous post. Now you have me dreaming of summer BBQs... :))

Carol said...

Wow, that's your road????? So what's Kathleen complaining about? :)

but look what you have to look forward to, your spring is GORGEOUS!!!!

Great flashback! and a happy birthday to Jeff!

Simple Home said...

What beautiful sunny photos! Happy belated birthday to your husband :-)
Blessings,
Marcia

SavoringTime in the Kitchen said...

Hope Jeff had a wonderful birthday! I can't wait to see those beautiful garden scenes again either - cabin fever is setting in here too.

sanjeet said...

You've certainly had a lot of snow; your area needs a long warm spell sooner than later.
rihanna video