Tuesday, February 09, 2010

for Darla...


On yesterday's post
"Darla said...
These are beautiful captures..I'm a little confused..what Woodpecker does not have red on it's head?"

The answer is "the females" - It seems in the bird world the males get all the pretty adornments so red means male and without is his mate.

5 comments:

Darla said...

I so knew that! lol...just didn't think about the difference in males and females...just showed this to my husband..Thank you, you are a doll!

Darla said...

I so knew that! lol...just didn't think about the difference in males and females...just showed this to my husband..Thank you, you are a doll!

Unknown said...

Yup! And, I was lucky enough to see 2 different species this weekend on my bird feeder ... Yah!!!

Great pics.

Happy Valentine's
Have a beautiful week!
Hugs, Marydon

From the Old InkWell said...

Love your photos as always! I just posted bluebird photos if you're interested. What fun it was!

Kate/High Altitude Gardening said...

I didn't know that. However! As I sit here in my ratty robe this a.m., I'm thinking that would be a wonderful thing for humans to get into. Let's make the guys fret about looking perfect for a change! :))