Today, is October 12th and it is snowing for the second time in 3 days...we need this to go away and bring us the warmth and sunshine of an indian summer. October is considered the "Rural Rush Hour" in this part of the country as farmers are busy with harvest. The roads should be filled with trucks & equipment going from field to farm, beet pilers & elevators. Instead, the equipment sits idle and the sugar beets, soybeans and corn are frosted with snow and the fields are wet & muddy.
The little warblers are still around and are busy flying around looking for insects...I don't think they are finding many.
The only ones I see enjoying this weather are the little fairies who are sledding all over the garden. Ruger & Hershey enjoy sniffing them out :)
Our average temps for this time of year are 60 plus degrees...Five Day Forecast from the National Weather ServiceMon
H 36°
L 23°
Tue
H 38°
L 29°
Wed
H 40°
L 29°
Thu
H 41°
L 27°
Fri
Partly Cloudy/Rain Showers
H 43°
L 29°
Where is our Indian Summer?
From Wikipedia: The generally accepted use of the term, Indian Summer, is when the weather is sunny and clear and above 70°F, and all of the leaves of the trees have turned but before the first snow has fallen; a period normally associated with mid-October to late-November in the northern states of the U.S.
29 comments:
Oh my goodness. Your mosaics are beautiful, but snow now. NO NO NO! I feel for the farmers and everyone else. Growing up in St. Paul I always loved indian summer. It was the highlight of Fall.Kicking the beautiful leaves as you walked home from school,etc. Not snow.... Do the fairies have mittens! Sharon
BRRRRRRRRRRRRR! I do LOVE the snow photos!!!!
Eeeck! That is some SERIOUS snow, Marsha! We started with a cold spring and it looks like we're ending with a cold fall :(
I never heard the term Rural Rush House before - LOL!
Snow? Oh my! We are suppose to get some rain this week and that enough is freaking me out!
I'm looking for cooler temps, but way to early for snow! Gorgeous mosaics, Marsha! I love the pups!
Beautiful Mosaic! We never get snow so early , if we get snow . But it is beautiful to look at.;~)
~Myrna Lee
Isn't weather strange these last few years. Snow in your place where it should be rather warm. All so strange. But your photo's are absolutely fantastic. And so are your mosaics. All perfect.
Thank you for sharing and visiting.
Have a nice day
So pretty to looooook at. This from Texas. My feet are cold and it is probably only 50 or so afraid to ask. I do love your photo's though thanks for sharing. I'll visit after the thaw. LOL.
Have a Blessed Day,
Sherry
Love the pics with the birds. Well done! They are so colorful in all the white.
omgoodness...look at that snow! we're still enduring RAIN...2 more inches today and it's still raining :(
prayer up your indian summer
Your mosaics are outstanding. I love the sledders.
We are supposed to have snow tomorrow! Not ready for it.
Carol
You;ve had so much more than we have..we just got a dusting! I lvoe watching the dogs play in the first snow - they love it! Just keep it North..I'll take the litle we have but not yours!!
Great mosaics!
The pictures are so pretty,but it looks like a lot of snow for this time of year.
Blessings,Ruth
Holy Cow! I had to scrape my car windows this morning and I am so not ready for snow yet. But your photos are put together so beautifully I can't wait to capture some images like that myslef now. hehe
hmmmm...Eventhough it's so pretty, I hate this for your farmers!!!
Oh my goodness! Snow already? I'm dreading this white stuffs but I know it's coming also.
Beautiful mosaics! They all look so pretty, but cold. I also hope for Indian Summer..
It is beautiful! Love the mosaic.
It is all so pretty -but I feel for the farmers trying to get their harvest in.Hopefully warmer weather will return.
Carolyn
Three mosaics ... what lucky blog followers we are!
So sad for the farmers that they're not able to get into the fields to work. But, the birds, Ruger, and Hershey look like they're enjoying the snow.
OMG! All frost in the Fall? All your mosaics are so lovely and it feels like Christmas! It is just beautiful and cold! Cute dog!
Hugs!
OH Marsha!! I know you weren't ready for this already. If it makes you feel any better we had a frost this weekend too. Nothing like yours..but it did take down most of my dahlias and some other annuals. I have to say..you have one of the prettiest gardens..even in the dad of winter.
Indian Summer? Mother Nature must have had one too many hot flashes and is sending in the cold instead of cool weather. Global warming? Are they kidding me? I hope the crops can be saved after this snow as I see your weather report for the rest of the week is kinda strange too.
Joyce
I love your marvelous mosaics, but feel your pain over the early snowy weather where you live. We've got the opposite problem here in Southern California where it's dryer than dry and the land has been ravaged by wildfires so that when (if) it ever DOES rain ... mudslides are sure to follow. Such STRANGE weather we're having all over! Hard to fathom. Your photos are magnificent ... love them all ... especially that wonderful hound with the gorgeous brown eyes. Methinks my Molly would love to play with BOTH your doggies. Thanks for the visit to my mosaics ;--)
Hugs and blessings,
Your pictures are beautiful! I'm wishing sunshine ahead for you!
Hello! Thanks for following my blog - because now I get to follow yours! OH MY GOSH! I love the snow! Sorry - I am a "snow-a-holic". I live in So Cal and don't get any here, but would love to have a cabin someday where I can enjoy all four seasons.
Loved this post!!! My gosh. The photos are fabulous!! I would just be in Heaven. Pure and sImple.
Thanks for sharing!
Karen @ Some Days Are Diamonds
Just beautiful pictures but sure hate to see the crops affected.
Oh, Marsha, pretty, but I don't want to see snow yet! Colder than normal here too, but at least no snow yet. I want an Indian Summer!
Beautiful and magical.
Oh dear!! It looks so pretty, but it's much too early. Here's hoping the sun shines on you again very soon before it really becomes winter.
Post a Comment