Thursday, October 01, 2009

Oct garden walk...the backyard

Walking to the backyard from the barn garden we see this view showing the giant cottonwoods in the background are still completely green.It has been so windy the past couple of days the patio is covered with pine needles.


I need to be watching out the window to catch a goldfinch feeding off this sunflower birdfeeder. They are on their 3rd small sunflower head that fits into it, so it is a popular place to stop for a snack but I'm just not fast enough with a camera.
The white lisanthus just keep blooming and blooming.
Every few years the Pine Lady loses tons of needles and this year is one of them. The needles turn brown and she looks quite ill and then the next year continues to thrive, but it makes for a pretty sparse looking tree this winter.
Is that what it looks like?
Yes, this crazy gardener has moved her dead Christmas tree from the back of the cabin to be near the rock for the winter. We have huge numbers of robins here feasting on those invasive buckthorn trees that are taking over our grove and they come in large groups to bathe. My poor little serviceberry tree was bending over the weight of 15 robins one day so I decided to give the birds another place to perch. It has proved to be extremely popular with all the birds as it was by the cabin. They love to bathe and then perch on it to preen.
Most of the coneflowers have gone to seed and are a goldfinch buffet...
and the self seeded annuals in front of the cabin continue to put out a colorful show.
A white datura also self seeded itself next to the cabin. Next year, I am going to plant some buy the barn for beautiful white blossoms in the evening when we entertain by the firepit.
This month we can actually make our way through the back arbor after I pulled all the cosmos out.
The paths are quite overgrown but with a limited number of days until it is all over I have just let the garden do it's own thing.


The honeysuckle vine is putting out some late season blossoms for the few straggler hummingbirds that are still around.


Walking back up to the patio you can see how windy it is here by the "Marsha's Garden" flag.
Hard to believe it is only in the upper 50's with the shot of this tropical canna in the sunshine.
I actually took my October 1st garden shots in the afternoon yesterday (9/30) since we were forecast to have rain today. It is a good thing I did as today is actually only 48 degrees at 1 pm, raining and very windy!

6 comments:

jmatts said...

There's a quote about God sending rainy days so gardeners can get their housework done. I'm zone 4 but in Montana and we had our first snowflakes last night (gone already thank goodness). I'm not ready to give up the warm sunny garden season and yet I welcome the rest from it's demands. I'm sure you feel the same.
Enjoy your rainy day!

Kathy said...

I absolutely love the sunflower birdfeeder. I googled it and could not find that one. Where did you buy it? It is so cute!

Love your garden tours!

Foley said...

I agree - love the sunflower birdfeeder..really unique, have never seen one like it!
Love ALL your photos..

A Grain of Salt said...

Marsha, you've created a magical place.

Cynthia said...

I have no new adjectives to describe your gardens, Marsha. They expansiveness and detail are beyond description. I love the copper-tone sunflower ... How fun that you put an actual head of a sunflower inside it. ... I'm so glad that your pictures are "clickable". There's so much to see.

Tina said...

I think I am viewing your back yard gardens backwards..but that's because I have been away and not at my computer so I'm behind in visiting everyone's blogs. Love all your gardens..so cool....they must keep you busy 24-7!! I absolutely love that sunflower holder/feeder..what a super neat feeder!