Monday, October 05, 2009

Mosaic Monday...autumn in northern MN

It's Monday and I'm a late entry but once again I am joining Mary, the Little Red House for Mosaic Monday. Check out her blog HERE to see the 80+ others participating.

Jeff & I went for our annual fall trek to view the beautiful colors of the woods of northern MN this weekend. It rained all day Friday and Saturday but the colors were still beautiful against gray skies. We had a few moments of sun on Sunday but it still rained on and off so not many hiking opportunities. Enjoy!






Edited to add the locations: Jay Cooke State Park, Gooseberry Falls State Park, Split Rock State Park, Scenic State Park and the North American Bear Center. We did see the deer in the wild but the bears were in a 3 acre enclosure for educational purposes after being rescued from a private family raising them in a cement floored dog kennel. The wedding party were from a wedding on the shores of Lake Superior. It was so cold and wet but the bridesmaid we talked to said it was still a wonderful wedding :)

18 comments:

ChrisJ said...

Beautiful fall shots! I wish I could be happier fall was here. I have two bug-a-boos that irritate me no end: all the commercialism that's pushed at us for Halloween and Christmas! I know I'm just a grinch but it is so sad the amount of money that is spent on all this frippery when there are people who are really in need. Well, just ignore me. I'll get over it.

Mary said...

Omigosh, how close were you to that bear?! these are such beautiful shots -- thank you so much for sharing them at Mosaic MOnday. :)

Marsha said...

I'll go in and edit the text but since Mary asked about the bears, I better explain...since it was raining and we couldn't go hiking we went to the North American Bear Center in Ely, MN. They have 3 bears rescued from a cement pad zoo and now they are roaming a 3 acre enclosure. The center is very educational as well. The deer were wild in a roadside field though.

Ruth's Photo Blog said...

These are spectacular mosaics.Beautiful fall colors.
Ruth

Carol said...

WOW< Marsha, absolutely fabulous shots! Gorgeous!

Glad you explained the bears, LOL!

Lynne at Hasty Brook said...

There is no place prettier in fall than northern Minnesota.

A Grain of Salt said...

Fantastic mosaics, Marsha! Looks like a wonderful weekend, even with rain, just beautiful.

From the Old InkWell said...

Marsha, what gorgeous scenes of fall! Beautiful colors!

Jayne said...

Just gorgeous Marsha!

Joyce said...

Now those mosaics say Autumn for sure. No color change here in the south so I enjoyed peaking in at your area of the world. Thanks for sharing with me:)
Joyce

Carol at Serendipity said...

Beautiful mosaics. Glad to hear that you just did not happen upon the bears!

Carol

Michelle @ Sweet Something Design said...

What amazing photos and mosaics!! Just beautiful!

Tina said...

Marsha,
These pictures of "natures gardens" are breath taking! You have some lovely visual mosaics...love the bears and esp the water falls! How nice!

Cynthia said...

Marsha, fabulous mosaics ... I'm so glad that you explained about the bears. :)

I love the river/stream shots ... beautiful jagged rocks. I'm totally unfamiliar with MN except the Twin Cities area; it's beautiful.

SavoringTime in the Kitchen said...

I'm sorry you had rain but you still took some fantastic photos, Marsha! Yikes, that bear does look close! What a beautiful (but precariously perched) lighthouse and the bridal party looks beautiful in their fall colors too.

Kathleen said...

I am glad I went back to Mary's, I missed yours.
What beautiful pics! Such great color..
Poor bride..

Bonnie said...

Marsha-
I really love these mosaics. Pete and I enjoy going up there in the fall, but will not make it there this year. We are remodeling our kitchen(almost done).Your photos are gorgeous. Love those white birch trees surrounded by all that orange. Beautiful.

Foley said...

Too bad about the weather but your photos are fantastic - glad you explained more on the bears..was worried for a sec.!! lol