Tuesday, September 08, 2009

September garden walk...the backyard, part 1

I'm adding the garden tour posts to this week's Outdoor Wednesday over at Susan, A Southern Daydreamer's blog. Please click HERE to see the many other's joining in.

Join me as we take a walk through the backyard on a sunny morning...as we come around the garage this is our first view.On the obelisk, Earnest Markham and the President are both blooming. I think they make a wonderful combination.
In previous walks we have always taken the shortcut path to the pond so that we can easily view Pine Hollow but as you can see it has been overgrown!
We'll have to lean in to see the fairies resting in various spots in Pine Hollow...
the flowers have really filled in and they have lots of places to hide as well as a few new benches to rest on.
Next we walk onto the main portion of the patio and see this view looking towards Pine Hollow...
before we start down this path to the cabin.
The air smells sweet and citrusy as we brush our legs on the many lemon gem and orange gem marigolds alongside the paths.
Just as we walk alongside the pond, a little visitor flies in...
and is not shy as we stand silently to watch him get a cool drink.
As we walk alongside the rock fountain we can see the sedums in blossom as well as a mammoth mum setting hundreds of buds.
Also in this area are some of my favorite self seeders...Wildcat Blue & Wildcat Mandarin Anagallis.
At this spot we can also turn to our right and see how huge the drying Annabelle hydrangea blossoms are.
As we continue up the path and stop in front of the cabin we see many of the self seeders in front of the cabin are still in bloom as well as the backgrown of pink & white coneflowers.
As we turn to the next path...there is a beautiful mum in blossom...
but let's take one last look back before...
heading down the path to the back arbor.
These days there is no walking through the overgrown arbor but I will pull many of these out this week so that the new clematis climbing the sides can get more sunlight.
I've postponed doing it so far because the goldfinches just love to feast on the cosmos seeds...
and this little cutie likes to feast on the insects gathering on the same plants.
Please continue to the next post for the 2nd half of the tour.

21 comments:

Tootsie said...

you really need to link this in to my meme on Friday...and flaunt your flowers...they are just outstanding!

Foley said...

Everything is just bursting with color - love those little lemon gems!

ChrisJ said...

I can't believe how many flowers you have in your garden. It looks simply beautiful. Do you have time to just sit back and enjoy? But maybe you'd rather be busy growing things.

Darla said...

My paths were overgrown as well. I had to pull so many flowers it was heartbreaking, now it looks so much better. Do you add many plants from year to year, or do you just let what you have reseed? Gorgeous, everything!!

Kathy said...

Marsha, your gardens are outstanding. I wonder if our cooler than normal Minnesota summer has had anything to do with the vibrant colors that the flowers have displayed. Yours are just awesome. Thanks for visiting.

Cynthia said...

It's amazing that your gardens are so lush and colorful for the first of September. What lovely, visually interesting gardens

pam said...

What wonderful gardens...mine are probably 1/8 of the way there...it takes so much time. Every year I add more---this is so encouraging to see...I'll get there some day. Thanks for the tour...thoroughly enjoyed it.

My name is Riet said...

What a wonderful garden. Your pictures look like paintings, so beautiful.
Hve a nice day

cherry said...

Everything is so beautiful.I enjoyed every second of the tour.
Thank you so much for sharing.
hugs, Cherry

Mary Bergfeld said...

I really enjoyed walking through your garden. Your photos are wonderful and it's a glorious spot for a stroll.

Darla said...

How do I get to the next post?

Darla said...

I found it!! It's as amazing and breathtaking as I knew it would be!! I want to stroll around your gardens..............sigh

Shellbelle said...

Stunning, simply stunning! What a lovely stroll through your garden. While it's hard to pick my favorite, I must say I so enjoyed looking closely for the fairies and your cuke-eating dog is just the best thing I've seen today!

Honey, I don't know how you do it all, but keep up the good work!

Barnyard Country Gifts said...

Thank you for the walk through your backyard. Wonderfull pictures.
Annemieke

Cass @ That Old House said...

Speechless! Simply a gorgeous garden. Overwhelming! Cass

Tina said...

So much work Marsha, and worth every bit of it..such wonderful and bursting with color, texture and patterns..how very nice! I admire your organization of knowing all your plants. Quite an undertaking..but your sure lived up to your blogs name..these are wonderful gardens..all done by you!! are you for hire?? tee he.

Lisa @ Fern Creek Cottage said...

I've never seen such a wonderful yard. It is so incredible. I clicked on the one photo to make it larger and I just love the little fairy village.

RuthieJ said...

Gosh Marsha, your gardens are so beautiful. The pollinators must love your place too. I'm going to have to plant some cosmos seeds next spring too for the birds (and I'll check my field guide to see if I can ID the little birdie in your last picture -- probably one of those confusing fall plumage warblers!)

SavoringTime in the Kitchen said...

I am in awe of your late summer garden, Marsha! My garden is so sad-looking right now. I was going to ask you what the beautiful mounds of yellow flowers were and now you've answered my question.

Kudos to you and your garden, my friend!

KM Studios said...

wow!! just poping over from Lynns Gift from the heart & am I glad i did..
your garden is amazing!!!

on to part 2

Lylah Ledner said...

wow...so, what camera and lens are you using to capture these birds! amazing.....