Monday, August 31, 2009

wild and freeflowing...

I know that my gardening style is not for everyone since most of the time it looks like a tangled mess and you will certainly see that in tomorrow's first of the month garden tours. One of the reasons I garden is for the COLOR after our long white winters and but mostly I garden for the birds, butterflies and other fun wildlife that visit. If a self seeded birdseed (such as these sunflowers) or a wildflower grows I leave it and only the ugliest weeds are pulled. The wild flowers are the most attractive to the butterflies and those sunflowers that pop up everywhere are filled with birds these days. Enjoy!


11 comments:

Darla said...

My gardening style is a little wild too!

Carol said...

I have no style, and I absolutely, totally love yours :)

Cynthia said...

The colors in your pictures are so vibrant. ... A garden for color, attracting birds, butterflies, etc. seems like the perfect style to me.

Tina said...

I don't think there is a correct way to garden..if there is I don't know what it is...lol!! I weed when it bothers me and the butterflies and bees don't seem to mind a wilted flower as they land to eat or gather nectar..Im like you, Marsha, I love the colors and the textures and the patterns...winter is soooo long and I love to look out my window and see blossoms, young and old, and creatures galore!!
Nice post and oh those monarchs are just stunning!!

Ruth's Photo Blog said...

Your garden looks fantastic.The birds only add to the color.
Blessings,Ruth

SavoringTime in the Kitchen said...

My garden could certainly use a little design work! I tend to buy and plop things in wherever I can find room.

I just love that last shot! I haven't seen any monarchs here yet.

Kathleen said...

I love color too, and I plop it in where I will be able to see it from the porches! I will miss it, summer went too quickly..came too late! :)
Your gardens are lovely!

Foley said...

I love your design style - heck even some of the weeds are pretty!! lol
They had a Monach Festival here last weekend at the Nature Center..wasn't able to get to it but your last photo reminded me of it!

Mari @ Once Upon a Plate said...

Gorgeous Marsha!

Your gardens have always looked so beautiful to me. I do the same thing with a portion of the garden; plant just for the butterflies and bees ~ they are such garden helpers. And beautiful, too!

Love the shots of the butterfly. Very nice. :)

Darla said...

Ready for my garden tour!!

RuthieJ said...

Wild and freeflowing -- that's the garden path I follow too. It seems there's not nearly enough of that available for the birds and insects anymore. Keep up the good work Marsha!