Wednesday, August 19, 2009

the last of the Colorado pics...

I haven't blogged for so long...you probably thought I went on another vacation! I have had a lot going on the last few days but this post was already half uploaded so I thought I would finish the vacation pics.

These are from our last full day riding. We headed west and went up to the Twin Lakes area amongst the collegiate mountains. The first two photos are of the twin lakes area.

Next up is a road up to Independence Pass...
and a couple views from Independence Pass including...

posing at the pass sign.

We stopped in beautiful Aspen...
and walked around some of the shops. I enjoyed parts of the downtown where there are not drive through streets but more of a park-like setting center street.
It was hot and we laughed at this dog trying to cool off on a hot day...
and this little kid pondering doing the same.
Musicians were playing in several of the green areas and...
a farmer's market was held on two more city blocks.
Soon we had enough of the crowds and decided it was best to leave Aspen before we saw, heard or spoke bad things about it.
We rode back towards Independence Pass and stopped for a nice picnic lunch near a waterfall at a trail head.

We also stopped to tour the ghost town of Independence and visited with the onsite historian who actually lives in one of the refurbished miner's cabins.


One last peek at the snow atop Independence pass...
and a scenic drive...
to this townsite of Twin Lakes and it's historical district.
We saw a couple of newlyweds riding to their reception...
at the Inn of the Black Wolf. Do you see all those hummingbird feeders? I have never seen so many hummingbirds in my life as I did on this Colorado trip. From the campground, to the various parks to this Inn they were everywhere and swarming feeders.
On our ride back to the campground we saw some pronghorn antelope.
After conquering Pike's Peak and Independence Pass and many other mountain roads I bought myself a new bike riding t-shirt..."Real Women Don't Need Guard Rails"... :)

7 comments:

Ruth's Photo Blog said...

Thanks for the trip to Colorado,it was fun and didn't cost me a cent.LOL.The scenery is spectacular,I really do wish I could have been there.
Blessings,Ruth

Jennifer Boyle Penney said...

Colorado looks SO gorgeous--can't wait to go there someday! Looks like you guys are really living life to the fullest!

Cynthia said...

Marsha, I'm so glad you finished this post .. it's lovely and brings back lots of memories for me. The last time we were in that part of CO was prior to having a digital camera, so there are very few pictures. On that trip, we made it through Independence Pass also, but there still was LOTS of snow.

And yes, CO does seem to have a lot of hummingbirds. Glad you pointed that out or might not have clicked on the pic to see the larger version.

I LOVE the funny dog picture. You truly have a great "eye" for interesting shots. ... Glad to read that you're a REAL woman.

JeanMac said...

Stunning!

SavoringTime in the Kitchen said...

What amazing views! It's been a long time since we've been to Aspen but what an interesting place. Very casual but elegant at the same time. I love that dog cooling off picture!

RuthieJ said...

What a great trip you had! I would like to ride that route on the bike some day too (but not the Pike's Peak part though!)

RuthieJ said...

What a great trip you had! I would like to ride that route on the bike some day too (but not the Pike's Peak part though!)