It's Wednesday so that means I am joining Susan, A Southern Daydreamer, for Outdoor Wednesday along with many other bloggers.
Click HERE to see all the other's participating.

Day 2 of cycling Co brought us riding up to the 14,110 ft summit of
Pike's Peak. The scenery was gorgeous as we watched for "bigfoot".

Once we got above the treeline, the winds whipped like crazy and it became about 20 degrees colder very fast. Part of the road is currently gravel and parts are paved or currently being paved. They were paving up near the summit so we had to watch for gravel trucks on all the hairpin turns.

3/4 of the way up we pulled over to enjoy the view and visit with these two bikers. When we left they led the way and we watched near the top as the one in the white helmet almost wiped out in the strong winds and uneven payment from the paving project...that was the only really scary part!

Here we are parked at the summit - it was a partly cloudy day with sun peaking out occassionally.

A view looking down showing part of the road snaking up the mountain that we just drove up.

Another view looking down and showing the cog railway tracks at the summit. The train never did come in during the 45 minutes we were at the summit.

This shot shows we are above the cloud cover over Colorado Springs...

and this shot is to illustrate a sign we read that one inch on the horizon looking at the Rocky mountains is actually 38 miles!

America the beautiful from my sign mosaic on Monday...did you know the song was written after the author took in the beauty of Pike's Peak?

Regular followers of the blog will remember our
"vacation kiss" tradition :)

On our way down the mountain we stopped for a picnic at the Halfway Picnic grounds and...

this was our view.

After our Pike's Peak experience we rode to Colorado Springs to the
Garden of the Gods.

While this park was beautiful...

with lots of pretty scenery...

but it was a little disappointing to us because of all the crowds of tourists and lack of parking spaces and once you have seen the
red rocks of Utah...there is no comparsion.


On our way back to the campground we visited historic
Manitou Springs.

While driving around we stopped at the 7 minute springs and tasted the naturally carbonated spring water.

I couldn't resist taking this road out of town ;)

Still too busy catching up in the office for garden photos but this morning I looked out and saw 6 giant cucumbers on the front courtyard that didn't get picked while I was on vacation and it looks like Hershey thought they needed picking. I can imagine what the plant looks like when I finally get out there :) Yes, two people were right about Hershey, NE on the mosaic sign post...I couldn't resist on our way home - guess I was a little homesick after all!
17 comments:
Oh my goodness that scenery is so beautiful.I have been to that part of the country,but we did not go up Pike's Peak.The view from up there is magnificent.
Blessings,ruth
God's Country, for sure!
thx so much 4 sharing!
Wow! I mean WOW! I loved your cyber tour of Pike's Peak and Garden of the Gods. Wonderful job on the photos.
jfm
What a fun trip and the photos are wonderful. Isn't our country so beautiful? Another place on my list to visit.
Joyce
Marsha, what a terrific trip! And MAGNIFICENT photos!! Thank you for sharing it with us; it was like a mini-vacation to see such beautiful photos of the breathtaking vistas.
Thank you for stopping by my blog. :)
OMG! America the Beautiful, Colorado Springs the Beautiful. I am out of words to describe what I see! On that trip (in my post) we stopped at the Scenic Spot, and I saw some Harleys parked, I wanted to take a picture, but I was so hesitant. I have enjoyed this post, Marsha and thanks.
Absolutely wonderful scenery - thank you for sharing you great photos!
I went to Garden of the Gods at the end of May this year and it was a beautiful place to visit. My nephew got married there with Pike's Peak in the background during the ceremony. It was very beautiful. A lovely place to have a wedding ceremony. Your pictures are fun to look at and remind me of the nice time I had there.
These are absolutely beautiful photos. It was so much fun to enlarge them and see all the details.
Thanks for visiting me.
Rhonda
Marsha - the photos are absolutely beautiful..I bet it will be hard to actually pick a favorite of all the places you've been.
Love the "vacation kiss" tradition - I'm going to have to see that video one of these days!!
Wow. These are beautiful. Great post!
Beautiful beautiful pictures of the most beautiful scenery. I have no other words for all that beauty in your Colarado country. Thank you for sharing.
Riet, The netherlands
First of all, I love that vacation kiss tradition :-)
Marsha, the scenery is breathtaking! Thanks for sharing, and perhaps soon we can do some touring of Pike's Peak and Garden of the Gods. Just gorgeous, and I'm so happy that you and Jeff are so fun, romantic and adventurous :-)
Marsha, I always enjoy your trip re-caps and this one is no exception. Great pictures from Pike's Peak even if it was a little overcast. ... When you see the view from top, you can understand why Katharine Lee Bates wrote "America the Beautiful."
I appreciated your comments about Garden of the Gods. Now, I know we must go to Utah to see Arches National Park.
What a sweet tradition ... your "vacation kiss" ... Wouldn't that make a fun mosaic?
What amazing scenery! Thanks, Biker Babe!
Beautiful, just beautiful! The blue skies and towering peaks are magnificent!
looonnnnng time ago we went on a family vacation and camped in Colorado Springs for a few days. I remember the drive to Pikes Peak seemed endless and that was in a car. You're a much braver biker than I am Marsha! But your photos are gorgeous! Thanks for sharing this trip with us.
Post a Comment