Friday, May 29, 2009

yesterday's garden...

Yesterday, Hershey and I spent the day in the backyard garden weeding and watering and trying to keep the green heron away. He must have been somewhere watching us as when I went inside for lunch and Hershey went into the garage for a nap, he was back at the pond within 10 minutes. Thank goodness, I have not seen him yet today!
We welcomed all kinds of other birds and this baltimore oriole and...
juvenille orchard oriole were brave enough to eat while we working.
If it were not for the iris currently blooming the garden is still all green. New ones opening up are this beautiful pink one (my fav)...
purple and yellow...
purple and cream...
and this beautiful yellow and white one (the photo doesn't do it justice).
There are several blooming with yellows/browns and I don't remember ordering any...they are okay but not near as striking...If I had to do it over, I think it there would be lots more pinks.
A few shasta daisies are starting to pop open as well as the baptisma (false indigo) and...
maybe by the end of next week I'll have peonies!
I have not even gotten all my annual planters done yet as it has been so terribly windy here in MN. The few that were done really took a beating and even stripped leaves off some of the plants - this pink beauty withstood it all and just kept on blooming.
Look for the June 1st update to my monthly garden walk series sometime on Monday. Things are filling out but not a whole lot of color until nearer to July 1st.

16 comments:

jalynn01 said...

Hi Hershey! go chase that Heron!! I love to see all your beautiful flowers in bloom. My Peonies aren't open yet either...but lots are here in PA.

Robin Lambright said...

Iris's are my all time favorite, yours are beautiful.

Blessings
Robin

Unknown said...

That's a beautiful dog! Love the purple/yellow and purple/cream iris. You know I am SO looking forward to the first!!

Dirt Princess said...

You have THE most gorgeouse irises...really beautiful! That is an AWESOME shot of the lady bug! Have a good weekend

Skoots1moM said...

i love looking at your world of nature...it's so breath taking :)

Carol said...

Marsha, Hershey is getting so big! What a cutie pie!

The iris are so pretty! Especially the purple yellow one, and I love peonies, look forward to seeing it! The little ladybug is waiting too!

Joyce said...

Iris are so colorful and your ladybug is such a great shot:)
Joyce

Lynne at Hasty Brook said...

Hershey the Heron Chaser!!

Wasn't it windy over the weekend? Seems to have settled a bit, but I sure would like to see some rain.

BJ said...

Marsha - your pics are beautiful! I especially love the iris! Just gorgeous! And that sweet Hershey! What a friend you have there.

Cynthia said...

Beautiful pictures of your iris ... I hope Hershey is able to keep that BAD heron away from the fishies.

Aunt "B's" Backyard said...

Gotta love that Hershey!! What a beauty he is in the garden! Your oriole's are beautiful too. I can't get mine to stay still like that. You have the absolute perfect setting!!
Now, here is the perfect deal for you, Marsha, I will trade you an Indigo Bunting for one of those pink irises. (Is that the plural for more than one iris??)
Your beetle on the peony looks artificial, but beautiful.
I am anxiously awaiting for your June and July presentations!!

Ruth's Photo Blog said...

Oh my goodness,that pink Iris is stunning.
Blessings,Ruth

Foley said...

Marsha - Your iris' are so pretty, even the ladybug is a cutie!!

Hershey is getting so big.. hopefully he will help deter the heron!

Bargain Decorating with Laurie said...

Your photographs are breath taking - the birds, your flowers, and Hershey! Thanks for sharing all of this beauty. laurie

troutbirder said...

Your iris are so beautiful Shady. I have my little plastic pond surrounded by yellow ones. No greens herons here though. Just goldfish hungry racoons.

SavoringTime in the Kitchen said...

Hershey is such a big boy now! A handsome big boy too ;) You have a gorgeous collection or birds and iris!