Saturday, May 23, 2009

evening visitor

Tonight as I was working in the garden, I heard the "bark" of a heron. I went into the house to grab the camera and headed to the edge of the grove...there he was high in a dead branch on a cottonwood.
I am thinking this is a green heron but if someone has a better ID let me know.
Several years ago we had one clean out the pond of goldfish so I hope this guy is not here to stay. He was not afraid of me right underneath him clicking away...
and I even called out to him to make him look at the camera.

Jeff and the dogs came out and we all made noise and he still stayed.
He even "mooned" us to let us know he was not afraid...
Goldies...beware!

12 comments:

Jayne said...

Ooooo, the lighting is gorgeous Marsha! I'd say green heron too, though I've never actually seen one. Uh, I'd count the fish this morning? :c)

Tina said...

What a nice visitor to have come to your back yard..that is some backyard you have!! Yea. I think he is looking for your little fishes..but you sure caught some great shot of him do so!!

Cynthia said...

Marsha, sounds like even with the dogs and you and Jeff that he was willing to hang around hoping for a nice fish dinner.

I've never seen or even heard of a green heron before. When you mentioned them a few weeks ago, I assumed they looked like the blue heron. Interesting bird and that beak looks really handy for fishing.

Skoots1moM said...

maybe someone else's pond will grab his interest before he settle in

Ruth's Photo Blog said...

What a visitor!At least you got some great photos.
Blessings,Ruth

Foley said...

Great photos Marsha - I love the "mooning" one!!

According to my "Birds of Iowa" book that a very sweet person sent me it is definitely a green heron !! lol

Bargain Decorating with Laurie said...

What great photos! Yep, I'm afraid he's staying. I hope he doesn't get your fish. laurie

Suzy said...

Brave bird with a sharp beak! I hope he finds a fuller..natural pond somewhere else and leaves the goldies alone.

Peggy said...

Definately green heron! What a great unusual visitor!

RuthieJ said...

Green Herons are fun to see, but I've never seen one quite that brave!

troutbirder said...

Yup green heron. I can't believe how close you got.

Aunt "B's" Backyard said...

Now, that's a different bird to see. Not like I would have invisioned it at all!! Nice to know he wasn't fearful of you and that you could capture him at his best. How about I send you an Indigo Bunting and you send a Heron to me??