
Once again, I am joining
Suzy, Kitchen Bouquet, for Flashback Friday. I usually combine it with Foodie Friday over in the kitchen blog but I am skipping that this week in order to have time to work on my Mother's Day event post which will be up tomorrow.
My Flashback today is from back in April when we took a cycling vacation in Texas Hill Country. There is nothing Jeff & I like better than back roads, state parks and natural areas...they are guaranteed to be scenic, there are hiking and picnic spots...what's not to love?
This is the view of
Enchanted Rock State Natural Area near Fredericksburg as we approached on a beautiful windy, hilly road. The website linked above describes the rock formation in these words, "The Rock is a huge, pink granite exfoliation dome, that rises 425 feet above ground, 1825 feet above sea level, and covers 640 acres. It is one of the largest batholiths (underground rock formation uncovered by erosion) in the United States".

We parked in the lot and hiked to the trailhead to this view. If you click you might spot the tiny hikers high up on the rock. According to the sign it was a 4 mile round trip to the top of the rock and back so we decided to go for it.

The views as we hiked were amazing...


but soon two out-of-shape and middle aged hikers were out of breath from the climb and decided we had enough. We made half-way up the dome and sat on the rock to rest and enjoy the views from this point.

Many others decided this was as far as they were going as well ;) There were lots of families taking photo ops and enjoying the view, we are about a mile from the trailhead and if you look closely you can see the roof of the shelter in the center of the photo.

After resting and enjoying the view, we decided it was time to hike back...who knew hiking down this slanted rock surface was much harder than going up?? Your toes push to the front of your shoes and soon your knees are pushed to the limits. About half way down my bad knee was reinjured when my kneecap slipped but after another rest we ventured on...

and things went well until we faced this at the end of the trail ;)

About now you are probably wondering if there is cheese with all this knee "whine"...Don't worry, the knee recovered quickly after the trip and last week when it came out once again gardening - it is almost 100% again today (So with the ortho referral I got he'll wonder what I am complaining about). It's the pits getting old :-)
8 comments:
Looks like a beautiful place to hike,although somewhat difficult.Yea,getting older is not that much fun,but as someone said the alternative is not what we want either.
Blessings,Ruth
Hiking sure has a different connotation these days ;) Glad to hear your knee is getting better and beautiful photoes!
Yea, lol those steps at the end of your hike would have done it for me!! Great post. You really chose a wonderful area to hike...had to laugh at Ruth's comment!!
Wow, that was some hike, and what views!
Great photos.
Marsha, wonderful post ... I'm glad you shared some of your Texas trip, looks like lovely country.
I love your comment about "out-of-shape and middle aged hikers". Oh, how I can relate.
Great flashback Marsha! That is one of my favorite areas of Texas. Reminds me of Lonesome Dove for some reason. I would love do take the same trip as you have and get out and look around. I saw it from an 18 wheeler and we couldn't stop many places!
Marsha, what a great place. I would love that hike. Keep feeling good... (and it's ok to whine!)
J@S&S
Hi Marsha! What a nice all around outing. Good exercise, and beautiful scenery. Pink granite, that sounds so pretty. Very education post. Hope you had fun!
Post a Comment