Friday, May 01, 2009

May 1st garden walk...

I loved looking at what Darla, Family and Flowers, posted this week showing the monthly update of her full sun garden. Click on her name to see it.

Since I am always showing close up shots of various things in the gardens, this gardening season I would like to take you on garden walks sometime around the first of each month with links back to see how the gardens have grown/changed with time.

May 1st is just the beginning of the gardens coming back to life. They are mostly bare and waiting for warmer soil for the perennial plants to sprout up or to be planted just as the farm fields you can see in the background are. In these first shots of the angel garden, some of the angels have not even made it out of their winter home in the shed yet.


In this whole area, I could only find one early tulip cluster about to open.
Next, is the front landscape. The iris and rose garden is starting to green up and it looks like all the roses have survived their first winter.
In front of the house, the shrubs are leafing out...
and some early tulips have blossomed.
The roundup I sprayed around the little barn is starting to work and hopefully next month you will see a path and a new little flower garden.
As we enter the backyard, I just have to show you my new little garden flag that Jayme & Scott gave me for my birthday last Dec. Isn't it just the cutest?
There are a few little sprouts of green on the path to the pond...
and one little blooming clump of tulips in front of the cabin.
These red beauties are always the first to bloom each spring.
The back of the garden looks pretty forlorn as well. The bare area to the left of the path is the area behind the rock fountain. I have been digging out purple coneflowers and planning to find some shorter flowers for this area to not overwhelm the new autumn brilliance serviceberry I planted last fall.I did find a few frost damaged grape hyanciths in front of back arbor.
The path to the satellite gazebo is looking pretty bare...but I did get a new bistro set. Since I don't have the rest of the patio furniture out of storage yet, I have been enjoying sitting here and watching the birds come to the feeders only a few feet away.
The rest of the paths are just as bare with no blossoms to be found so I went back to the patio for a wide shot.
I cropped this photo so that you could focus on the background cottonwood trees. Do you see the one in the center? At the very top it bends to the right (leaving a stump platform with a hole on the left) and this is where the kestrels are nesting.
Did you notice I had companions on this tour? Gabi doesn't leave the front of the house anymore but Ruger & Hershey think they have to be right with me. Every day I tell Jeff that I don't know how much of a garden I will have this year, because Hershey is not learning the word "NO" very well.
She loves nothing more than playing and a plant (live or dead) is just as much fun as a squeaky toy.
The new front landscape seems to be her favorite place to dig and lay but she is happy to dig in all of them. Hopefully she learn's what "no" means before I have to rename the place "Hershey's Garden". I'm looking forward to showing you these same "views" on the first of every month until the first frost, in MN there are always changes ;)

13 comments:

Aunt "B's" Backyard said...

Well, now I really know what 'Marsha's Garden' is all about. It's LOVELY, Marsha!

This time of the year is so exciting with the new growth, but it's difficult being patient waiting for all of it.

Your place is awesome and thanks for the wonderful tour...just love Hershey!

Foley said...

I love your new flag - what a sweet gift!

You just have a complete paradise..all the birdhouses too!! You have made a beautiful sanctuary for all your feathered friends, no wonder they love you!

My fav is your angel garden - can't wait to see it in bloom.

Can't believe how Hershey has grown - good luck on the 'NO' teaching!!

Unknown said...

Get out of town! Your gardens are so interesting to view in this stage, I am so very glad you did this. I wish all the gardeners would show the monthly changes..and the wider views, my chin is still on my chest!!! I can hardly wait to see more....still in love with the barn!!!

Skoots1moM said...

bare now...but soon it will be BUSTING forth, in all its glory (praying Hershey has something else keeping his attention rather than the flowers)
what a wonderful retreat you have out your backdoor...would love to come spend a morning and a cup of joe :) you're blessed!

Joyce said...

If it looks this good now I can't wait to see your posts in a few more weeks. Gosh it is good to get out and play in the dirt after being in the house all winter. My favorite time of the year is approaching SUMMER! I love the flowers and the way the grass smells after it is cut and after a rain. I also do not mind the heat as I am always cold. Oh and I forgot to mention the best part which is WATERMELLON:) Happy Cinco de Mayo
Joyce

Cynthia said...

Marsha, I thoroughly enjoyed your garden walk. I opened up each picture to get all the detail. I'm surprised that your tulips are just now opening.

I love your Marsha's Garden flag.

And good luck getting Hershey to understand "NO". She's still such a puppy, a big one, but still a puppy.

BUT, what I really want to know is how many bird feeders and bird houses do you have?

Simply fabulous, and I know it's only going to get better.

Ruth's Photo Blog said...

Oh,this will be so interesting.I am looking forward to see the changes from month to month.
Blessings,Ruth

A Grain of Salt said...

Oh, Marsha, I really enjoyed this tour of your gardens. You do a fabulous job and have made things so nice. I'm looking forward to your monthly updates. Really nice flag from Jayme & Scott. Perfect!

Jayne @ S&S ;-)

Jayne said...

It's amazing how different it all looks before the lushness takes over. I know you are so ready to see everything growing and blooming again. LOVE that new little flag! What a perfect gift. :c)

From the Old InkWell said...

Marsha, what a great idea to have a monthly post on the progress of your garden! You should start a blogging party with the link and all. You place is wonderful. I can tell how much work you have put in to it. A labor of love, I'm sure. I love that little cabin and the pond with the wooden bridge.

To your question from my post about fried corn. Silver Queen is a type of white corn with a sweet taste. It's one of my favorite types of corn. Fried fresh corn is a southern thing, for sure. Marsha, you gave me an idea. I'll have to do a post on frying corn when it come in season.

Blessings

Tina said...

Wow this looks like a fun project...anxious to see all your photos are the calendar moves forward!!

SavoringTime in the Kitchen said...

It will be so much fun to watch the transformation of your garden take place! What a cute flag :)

Rebecca said...

I "stumbled" into your garden walk a little late. (Hope you check this comment, so you'll know how much I enjoyed it.) We just returned from vacation in North Carolina and Tennessee. We found much of our NE Indiana yard in bloom and have spent the better part of the last two days transplanting some hosta and sedum (two of my favorite garden fillers). You're welcome to check out my blog - though I must warn you, it's not ALL garden....I'll be returning!