Monday, June 16, 2008

Natural beauty...

If you truly love Nature, you will find beauty everywhere.
(Vincent Van Gogh)
We took a short camping/cycling trip this weekend to explore southwestern MN & a tiny bit of SD near Garretson. When we got back last night I was happy to see the first of the peonies are opening and the wind that went through this weekend did not lay them down. At Garretson we first went to Split Rock park along the Split Rock River. This area of the river looked so peaceful and serene it made you wish you had a canoe...
but then right after this rock formation it ran over a dam so it was a great thing we did not have a canoe :-)
Next we went to Devil's Gulch. Legend has it that in 1876, Jesse James jumped this ravine with his horse to escape the posse chasing him from the Northfield bank robbery. There is also a nearby cave where he & his brother Frank hid for a few days while the posse went on by.
We enjoyed the walking trail through this park and I was suprised to see spiderwort growing everywhere as a wildflower including in small cracks in the rock.
We hiked to the bottom of the canyon and back along the rim..
where the creek ran shimmering rapids through the woods...
before dropping at Devil's Falls deep into the canyon.
I hope to share more of our adventure in the next several days.

5 comments:

Aunt "B's" Backyard said...

That is one place I've never been to, a canyon. It is so breathtaking in your photos, especially the falls. They are so relaxing to watch and listen to. Your photos are always so inviting and beautiful, Marsha!!

jalynn01 said...

I can almost smell that beautiful peony. Ours are almost gone now! I especially enjoyed your photos but was intereted in the Jesse James comments. I love stuff like that. How interesting...

The Birdlady said...

What a beautiful place to explore - and the peony is exquisite.

Lynne at Hasty Brook said...

WOW! What a neat place. I've never been there- looking forward to more pictures and stories.

Jayne said...

What glorious scenery Marsha! Thanks for taking us along. :c)