Saturday, June 07, 2008

gardening for the birds...

To me, the garden is a doorway to other worlds; one of them,
of course, is the world of birds. The garden is their dinner table,
bursting with bugs and worms and succulent berries.
(Anne Raver)

I love having a garden that attracts all these beautiful birds! This guy visited the rock for a drink this week and I was stumped trying to ID him. After looking through all my bird books the only similiar photo I could find was one of an immature male hooded oriole, but then I looked and saw that they only live in the southwestern part of the US and this is central MN so I ruled him out (unless he rode the jetstream up or something).
So I went to the Cornell All about Birds website and looked up every oriole I could find. I think this one is probably an immature male orchard oriole. Though I have never seen one before we do have several adult orchard orioles so it makes more sense to give him this ID. Click on the blue links to see the photos of these two at the Cornell site.So even though I had initially convinced myself he had the curved bill of the SW oriole, I caught a better glance of the two white wing bars in flight which according to what I've read would confirm him as an immature orchard oriole.
Did I tell you that I love gardening for the birds?

3 comments:

Jayne said...

Wow Marsha! What a cool visitor to have!

Lynne at Hasty Brook said...

He's gorgeous! Another great bird at "the rock".

RuthieJ said...

Great shots Marsha! We saw Orchard Orioles in North Dakota, but all were adults.
My office mate asked me today if there were any orioles that were yellow and black (because her dad has one in his yard too) and immature Orchard was the one I told her about also.