Tuesday, June 03, 2008

Silence...

"We need to find God, and he cannot be found in noise and restlessness. God is the friend of silence. See how nature - trees, flowers, grass - grows in silence; see the stars, the moon and the sun, how they move in silence.... We need silence to be able to touch souls."
(Mother Teresa)

I spent the morning in silence weeding the garden. As much as I dislike weeding, it was such a relaxing time listening to the "sounds of nature" around me. Blooms are starting to pop out around the garden. I couldn't believe how this allium has 3 blossoms in a row...I did not line them up like this. Blue flax is in the background and below the burgundy iris are the first to open.
I bought a new shrub this week...a tinkerbelle lilac. It blooms pink and has a lovely scent. I'm enjoying it on the patio while I decide where to plant it.

I dpn't know how this guy ever got the name "common yellowthroat" to me he is anything but common.
Have a wonderful day and enjoy the silence around you.

7 comments:

Lynne at Hasty Brook said...

I've read that quote from Mother Theresa before and love it. I find the older I get, the more I appreciate and even crave silence.

Nice post and nice reminder!

I don't find them common either.

Wanda said...

Once again ~~ I stand in awe of your outstanding pictures.

What a blessing to visit you each day.

Jayne said...

Oh, he's so beautiful Marsha, and I can just smell your lilac from here, as I sit in content silence.

Aunt "B's" Backyard said...

Hi Marsha! That is a beautiful writing by Mother Terese! So true!
I do agree with you that the Common Yellowthroat is not at all common. I hear it all of the time, but it's so difficult to spot. Being silent sometimes pays off!!

Aunt "B's" Backyard said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
jalynn01 said...

I love that lilac! The thing about silence I have noticed is when you get used to it you can't tolerate much noise. My mom always said how my 4 children would get on her nerves and I never understood it until I got older and now! I get it!! Love the commonthroat..so pretty!

The Birdlady said...

Great captures of the sweet little yellowthroat!