Wednesday, June 25, 2008

flowers open...

The sun is on fire
In the sky
And in its warmth
Flowers open
In the garden
And the butterfly
Flutters by.
(Stanley Cook)

New flowers are bursting forth every day in the garden but overall there is still more green than color. Above is a vanilla spoon osteospermum (proven winners annual). Below, the first bloom of Kilian Donahue clematis was open this morning. They open fushia and fade to an orchid with a fushia stripe. Beautiful!
Remember last summer's pinneapple lily? The bulb overwintered in the basement and this year I planted it in the ground rather than a pot. I have made a note to buy more of these bulbs now that I know they overwinter well.
Globe flower is about the only perennial I have in the garden that never multiplies or needs dividing. I can't decide if that is a good thing or a bad thing.
The first of the red border lilies opened overnight. The plant is loaded with buds so look for a huge burst of color next week.
The calla lilies are also blooming...
and for my fellow birdwatchers, I imagine you have noticed I haven't posted any birds lately. That's because I haven't had time to sit down and wait for a photo opportunity. I have been so busy with work, remodeling projects and WEEDING! This year I have more weeding to do than in most years, some of them are actually weeds (dandelions galore & bindweed are the worst) but most of them are self seeders. I've pulled pails & pails of gloriosa daisies, feverfew, coreopsis, coneflowers and the absolute worst invader DILL which I have never planted but it must have been in a wildflower mix a couple of years ago. The johnny jumps were getting pulled but there are so many I finally cried "Uncle" and gave up.
The wrens do keep me entertained while I am out there weeding just a singing away.
I should have waited to show you the climbing rose as it is now bending over under the weight of the blooms.
Have a wonderful day and don't forget to look for the beauty in each thing you see...even the weeds!

7 comments:

Lynne at Hasty Brook said...

I look forward to your garden updates Marsha. Tha climbing rose is gorgeous. I love that vanilla spoon osteospernum.

How do you keep the bunnies out?

Wanda said...

Oh I would like to dip that vanilla spoon in my coffee...yummy.

Every morning you delight me with your pictures ~~ what a way to start the day ~~

Thanks dear friend.
Love and Hugs
Wanda

Anonymous said...

I've been a lurker to your blog for a while now but todays pictures amaze me so I had to comment! Love the wren and that beautiful climbing rose....oh and I've never seen a vanilla spoon before. Do they grow in MN? I would love one of those.

Kayceebeebee in Mounds View MN

BJ said...

Hi Marsha - I'll be playing catch-up with all of my friend's blogs, but I wanted to comment and tell you how beautiful these pictures are. Every last one of them is gorgeous!

jalynn01 said...

I have never heard of or seen a 'vanilla spoon' but I'm hear to tell you it's gorgeous. I just keep looking at it!!! And the chair looks so inviting at the bottom I want to come and sit in it and smell the roses.

Jayne said...

That vanilla spoon is glorious! Love your little wren keeping you company. The climbing (sagging) rose is so beautiful.

The Birdlady said...

What a beautiful garden - "haven" on earth.