5 months ago
Tuesday, April 01, 2008
a tale of three doves...
One of my very favorite times of the day is having my morning coffee while watching the birds out the window. I cannot wait for warm weather so I can be back out on the patio enjoying this time of solitude amongst the birds, enjoying their songs and not being hindered by the sheet of glass. This morning, my highlight was watching as several doves groomed themselves on the big rock. A mourning dove doing what appears to be "the twist"...
and this one looks to be taking a nap...

before plucking out some of that extra winter down.
This is the one that really captured my attention. I have never seen a white one...is it another species of dove? Edited: I just looked it up and it is a ringed turtle dove.
He was gracious enough to come out from behind the water bowl so I could get a better look.

Oops, I was spotted at the window...
and only got in one more shot before they all flew off. Later, he landed on the birdhouse tree and in the reflecting sunlight he shone a brillant white. I sure hope this one decides to stick around for the summer.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Hi Marsha,
It could be a Eurasian Collared Dove too....I had one in my yard a couple springs ago and apparently there are small isolated colonies in several counties in southern Minnesota.
Good for you seeing another new bird in your yard!
Marsha,
I have not seen a white dove and was thrilled to catch your photos. Doves even though are a common bird are beautiful.
Awesome shots Marsh, hehe! I'm with you, can't wait for the weather to be nice enough for that morning coffee outdoors. You were very lucky to get a such a unique dove like that one. See, no male Redpoll but you get the 'odd dove'.
Way to go, girl!
BTW...my Redpolls are gone too!
Post a Comment