Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Oh for Joy...

Sometimes your joy is the source of your smile, but sometimes your smile can be the source of your joy.
(Thich Nhat Hanh)

I'm smiling WIDE tonight! We have lived here for almost 27 years and I have been actively feeding the birds for at least the last 15. This beautiful lady cardinal is a first ever sighting in our backyard. I could hardly believe my eyes! How exciting would it be if a male is around too! I am cautiously optimistic as in those same 27 years we have only spotted a male about 4 times. I am keeping the safflower seeds stocked and crossing my fingers.
The brown thrashers have also arrived.
Have you heard the expression "oh, for joy" before? We had a dear elderly friend, Wupke, who has now passed but whenever we would share good news with her she would exclaim "Oh, for joy!" I thought of her today...JOY, it's a good thing!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh for joy!! to be sure...
The only times we saw cardinals when we lived in MN was when it was very cold, and then often it would only be the male, while the female waited farther back in the trees. Beautiful photos!
Thank you for the pictures.
Rox

Jayne said...

Congratulations Marsha! It's so exciting to see something in your yard for the very first time. :c)

Aunt "B's" Backyard said...

That is a wonderful phrase to use, Marsha, Oh for Joy!! I think I will use that one too since I got my first nest of Bluebirds!!
That is so exciting that you got your female Cardinal. Your male is probably not far behind. She is beautiful! They do love the safflower and sunflower seeds!

jalynn01 said...

Cardinals are so common here. I have 7 pairs in my yard. I am happy you finally have one in YOUR yard, hope the male shows up soon. Love your thrasher too. Mine isn't back yet. Congrats Marsha!

BJ said...

I have never seen a female cardinal this beautiful! She has a fancy little do on her little head! I do love the bird pics. Yours are always lovely. Thanks for sharing with us.

RuthieJ said...

I started out with only 1 cardinal in my backyard too several years ago and last winter saw 7 pairs one evening. Good for you Marsha! Hopefully your cardinal will spread the word to her friends.