Monday, April 21, 2008

Spring Happenings...

I love spring anywhere, but if I could choose I would always greet it in a garden.
(Ruth Stout)

It has been a busy five days since I last posted and my little grape hyacinth has fully opened. I was up in Duluth for a few days helping out Jayme and then when I got home I took advantage of good weather and spent all my spare time in the garden and not on the computer. This weekend, Jeff & Nathan helped me drain and clean out the pond (and believe me that is one dirty job). Today, I set out the water plants, refilled the pond and turned on the rock fountain. I been waiting for this day since November 28th.
The big limestone rock chips off a few layers each year as you can see by the brighter gold spot in the above photo. This rock is probably a piece of ancient sea bed as you can see by this newly exposed fossil. Over the years several have been exposed and worn away.
Once the rock is turned on, I usually sit with the camera and wait to see which bird comes to use it first. Almost always it is a robin but this year it was a pesky grackle. I think they are here in much higher numbers this year, does anyone else think so too?
Though he stayed high in the tree tops and did not come in for a drink, I enjoyed watching this male flicker calling out for his mate. This is such a wonderful time of the year, and I think I can finally say it is truly spring as the juncos have left and yesterday we saw a blue heron.

4 comments:

Aunt "B's" Backyard said...

Hi Marsha! Sounds like Spring is there to stay. Hope we don't have any last minute little blasts of cold weather. Don't you just love those Flickers, they are gorgeous!
Your grape hyacinth is so pretty, such a pretty shade.
Sounds like you have been a very busy girl! With all of Spring's beauty, it brings alot of work with it.
Love your shots today!!

BJ said...

Oh....that grape hyacinth is so beautiful! I admire them all of the time when I see them.

It sounds like you have been extremely busy. Once the warmer weather arrives and the flowers are blooming and the trees are budding.....you just want to get busy outside. I remember how it was with me.

Love all of the pictures!

jalynn01 said...

Hi Marsha,
I love your pond and the rock that water runs across. I will be watching to see what birds come to it. They sure love running water don't they? Spring does bring forth a lOT of work...but at the end of the day it's worth it.

Jayne said...

How great to get your pond going again. Love the Flickers too. :c)