Wednesday, April 16, 2008

more signs of spring...

The sunlight speaks. And it's voice is a bird:
It glitters half-guessed half seen half-heard
Above the flower bed. Over the lawn ...
A flashing dip and it is gone.
And all it lends to the eye is this --
A sunbeam giving the air a kiss.(Harry Kemp)


The white throated sparrows have arrived and I found my first tiny flower bud. While others are showing beautiful daffodils, tulips and other blooming plants, I was happy just to find this bud (with rabbit chewed leaves) and to see yet another migratory bird arrive in the garden.
I spent another day doing garden chores and raking up leaves. It feels so good to be outside after such a long winter. The tulips still have a long ways to go before I see any blooms. I think I lost quite a few over the winter as there are not many out there.
I was also happy to see my indoor cactus garden starting to bloom. No matter how much neglect it receives over the winter it blooms every spring...I love it!

5 comments:

Jayne said...

That's the description of a hummer indeed!
Love the sparrow and the signs of spring all around. :c)

RuthieJ said...

Great photo of the White-Throated Sparrow! I haven't seen or heard any yet this spring.
Looks like the bunnies nipped off the tips of your hyacinth leaves too!
Pretty cactus flower--that's always a nice surprise in spring, isn't it?

jalynn01 said...

Your poem was inspiring and I too never heard it before. What a nice picture of the sparrow. You captured his yellow dots on the head! Was that a hydrangea coming up? Pretty pink cactus!

jalynn01 said...

Marsha
I'm back to correct my mistake... Not hydranga but hyacinth! Must have been having a senior moment! :-)

Aunt "B's" Backyard said...

Hello Marsha! It's so neat to see all of what Spring has in store for us. I love the Sparrow shot. You get such beautiful birds!