"Spring would not be spring without bird songs."
(Francis M. Chapman)
How fun it was to look outside and see some "summer" color in the garden. The purple finches have arrived!
Of course it has to be on a day when we have a fun road trip planned late this afternoon. We will keep a close watch on the weather and hopefully we'll be able to go and be back before the nasty changeover from rain, to sleet, to snow happens.
There is a huge flock of juncos gathering in the garden and the ground is full of them feasting off of spilled seeds. As much as I love them, I am hoping they head north soon because then we can finally say...spring is here for good.
This last photo is a house finch that was here yesterday. See how he has a little brown on the top of his head as well as the streaks on his breast.
6 comments:
We do search for those 'signs of Spring'. I don't envy you the snow, sleet and cold weather. We finally are seeing 60 degree temps and the grass is greening!! Ahhhhh Spring, my heart pants for it. Your finches are cute little buggers with their redish tint.
Excellent, excellent contrast photos of a house vs. purple finch Marsha! Your photos are so very detailed and sharp! BRAVO!
It's interesting to see a bird "blush" What did you say to him? Just kidding...reall nice pictures.
Marsha - that purple finch is beautiful! I have never, and probably never again, will see one of these. I love it! Mostly I've seen the yellow finches.
You're bird shots are just lovely!
OMG - sounds like bad weather! Oh, I hope not! It was in the 70's here today. Oh how I hope that it continues to get warmer.
BTW - how are your fish doing?
I hope you guys don't get all that snow (at least it sounds warm for next week so the snow won't stick around for long).
I saw purple finches at a friend's place the other day and I keep watching in my backyard, but no purple finches yet....
Marsha, you poor thing! I feel so sorry for you with that forcast! But you got some beauties with those Purple Finches. Love the shot of the House Finch. It's a wonderful shot!!
We were in the 70's today and I loved it! Hang in there with the weather and be careful!
Post a Comment