Monday, April 28, 2008

Birthday weekend....

We had a wonderful long weekend up north with Jayme & Scott helping Jayme celebrate her birthday. We left home Friday morning in the rain and Saturday morning we awoke to this snowy sight in Jayme's backyard. Thinking it only hit up north was a mistake as we were told we had even more snow & wind back home on Friday.We pulled the trailer full of some of Jeff's tools and Grandma Mary's piano. Scott called in a couple of strong friends and the four guys flexed quite a bit of muscle getting it in the house. I can't believe I forgot to take a picture but it is a joy for Jeff & I to see Jayme have & play Grandma's beloved piano. On Saturday, we put the tools to use and helped the kids install all the wood trim in their family room.
Of course since I am always looking for birds, I spotted this one all puffed up hunting for food under the tree line. I'm thinking veery but I will have to look in my bird book.
By Sunday, the snow was melting and it was a chilly but beautiful, sunny day, so we went to Jay Cooke state park. After all the snow they had up north this winter we could not believe how high and fast the St. Louis river was. This area of the river is known for all these beautiful layers of 45 degree angle rocks sticking up everywhere and now they are all under water.
The rapids could be heard everywhere in the park and it was a little eerie crossing the suspension bridge with the river roaring underneath us.

Follow this LINK and the photo above is where Jayme & Scott were pictured sitting, and the photo below is the same spot as the last photo in the link. As you can see only one rock is still above water.

The power of the water was so breathtaking that it made me think of one of my favorite verses...
Mightier than the thunder of the great waters,
mightier than the breakers of the sea. . .
the LORD on high is mighty.
Psalms 93:4

and he showed us that even in the midst of all this dangerous water, he could make a rainbow.
Happy Birthday Jayme!
We had such a wonderful weekend celebrating with you and we are so proud of the woman you have become.
We Love You,
Mom & Dad

6 comments:

jalynn01 said...

Wow! Snow! I thought we were done with that but they're saying some flurries tonight. Yuk!!
That Roaring River sure made me nervous, but I loved the rainbow. Your little bird is cute. Nice post.

Aunt "B's" Backyard said...

Oh those water scenes just take my breath away. Don't think I could have done the bridge!! But, your shots of it are just incredible.
Snow, they can have it!! I've had my share.
HAPPY BIRTHDAY, Jayme!!!

Jayne said...

EEK! I think they are braver than me in crossing that bridge over the roaring water. Happy Birthday to Jayme!

BJ said...

Snow! Eek! Let it be gone!

Love the pictures.....especially of the rushing water. That bridge is awesome.

Sounds like you had a wonderful time with your daughter! Happy birthday Jayme! Hope it was the best ever.

Jayme said...

I agree with Bird Girl. Scottie and I are blessed to have you!

Wanda said...

Happy Birthday Jayme!!

Can I have a piece of your Birthday Cake...it looks wonderful!