Monday, November 05, 2007

Scarecrows and siskins...

We're the farmer's scarecrows
We scare away the birds,
We keep the farmer's corn safe
Without any words.
(author unknown)



Not all scarecrows are scary as this fun little birdhouse proves.

At this time last month I didn't even know what a pine siskin was and now I have many visiting daily. They love the nyjer thistle seed and are very possessive of the feeders. Here one lonely goldfinch managed to grab on with 13 pine siskins, do you see him? Most of the goldfinches now feed at the perched feeder while the siskins have taken over the bags.
I hesitate to show this out of focus photo but it was just too exciting not to show it. Another "lifer", a golden crowned kinglet. He was flitting about the pond so fast I could not get him in focus before he moved to another spot (plus I haven't managed to wash those dirty panes yet).

1 comment:

RuthieJ said...

Holy cow in a canoe, Marsha... that's a whole lotta pine siskins! Congratulations! (I did see that little goldfinch popping its head from around the back).

Good job on the kinglet photo also--that little golden crown shows up real good.