Wednesday, November 28, 2007

the last and the first....

It was definitely cold yesterday! Throughout the day the moving water on the rock started to freeze over so I knew it was time to turn it off. Among the last birds to use the rock for the season was this downy and a sparrow and in the photo below, 3 chickadees and a white breasted nuthatch.
Jeff didn't get home until 6:30, so I bundled up and out we went with flashlights, a torch and an air tank to unhook the pump and blow out the waterlines.
This morning at dawn's first light, the chickadees were the first on the scene looking for water so I brought out the heated dish and one actually came to drink while I was still standing there. Wish I had the camera in my frozen hands but alas I went back inside and took some more shots through the windows.

Here is the new water set up and the remants of yesterday's frozen water flow.

As soon as I stepped away, 3 chickadees and a sparrow moved in so I guess you can say they are the first and the last...

3 comments:

BJ said...

Those little birdies are really persistent! I love how the pics turned out...showing all of the frozen water. Great shots.

Wanda said...

We don't see much ice. Those are just wonderful pictures.

RuthieJ said...

I like your cool deer antler perch, Marsha!