In the 1870's, the railroads began to replace riverboats and a line was run through nearby New Ulm. This had an adverse effect on the town but the store remained open and served as a hub for the farming community.
Eventually the town became less active and businesses began closing down. The owners of the Harkins store closed it down on Jan. 1, 1901. The building was reopened in 1938 as a museum with almost everything remaining where it had been in 1901."
All that remains of the former town site along Nicollet County RD 21 is the store and 2 houses that were owned by the Harkin family. The MN Historical Society now owns and operates the store museum.
The guides were clothed in 1870's era costumes and explained that 40% of the store's stock was left on the shelves when the store closed in 1901. The daughter's of the owner first opened it as a museum before it was bought by the historical society, which decided to focus on creating an 1870's store so the original items from later decades are housed in the state museum. During part of the stores history, the area farmers hit hard times when a grasshopper plague lasted 4 years so Mr. Harkin gave many of them supplies on a promise to pay. This definition of a promise was written by Mr. Harkin and posted on the wall. (dark photo because the interior is lit with one lamp and a gray day makes for a dark store)A promise should be given with caution and kept with care
A promise should be made with the heart and remembered by the head
A promise is the offspring of intention and should be nurtured by recolection
A promise should be the result of thought and its fulfillment the result of reflection
A promise and its performance should like the scales of a true balance always present a mutual adjustment
A promise delayed is justice deferred
A promise neglected is an untruth told
A promise attended to is a debt settled
I liked this definition - whether he was reminding them of their intentions to pay or not it is still good advice.
Today, is another rainy day here at home - in a break from the showers I went out and admired the raindrop covered flowers.

6 comments:
Your florals are exquisite ... love the mosaics presentation.
What an interesting history ... it is such fun to learn more of our local color & times of yore.
Have a beau-TEA-ful week.
TTFN ~ Marydon
I think that many times the flowers are enhanced by the rain drops.Beautiful mosaics.
Blessings,Ruth
I was there a couple years ago. It really is a fun place to see. Gorgeous photos!
What a wonderful place to visit and I loved reading The Promise.
Gorgeous clems, Marsha!
Your garden pics are beautiful! Love the raindrops on them! I have actually been enjoying all this rain, makes for much easier weeding!
That store is so much fun. Thanks for sharing. You get out and about around MN, it's fun to explore our state, isn't it?
KAte
What a cool museum, I love the history and would have loved it, thanks for the visit, I see so many things in your part of the country, I would otherwise never see or know about!
Gorgeous flowers!
Post a Comment