Wednesday, June 16, 2010

4 years and 738 posts...

ago I started this blog. My how time flies when you are having fun! A week ago I posted that my 4 year blogoversary was today and asked for your favorite posts of the past 4 years in order that I could repeat the top 4. While I did get 8 comments to that post only Kathy mentioned a favorite post so I guess we are showing the top post rather than the top 4, one titled "Close encounters" from September 2, 2006 which I am repeating here...

Have you ever observed a humming-bird moving about in an aerial dance among the flowers - a living prismatic gem.... it is a creature of such fairy-like loveliness as to mock all description. (W.H. Hudson, Green Mansions)
The hummingbirds are extremely active in the garden these days. Because of all the frenzied feeding they allowed me to get closer than I have ever been before.
The stationery one is a dominant one that staked his territory around the feeder and rested on the nearby butterfly bush to scare off any others expecting a drink of nectar. Believe me when I say he scared them off too - lots of dive bombing and aerial acrobatics! If only I could capture that on camera. . .
I marvel at the detail in the feathers and beads of nectar still on his beak that these photos allow us to see up close and personal. I'm sure hoping for more close encounters before they leave us for the season.

What I didn't mention in last week's post was that I was hosting a blogoversary celebration give-away. I wanted comments from readers reflecting favorite posts and not because there were prizes involved. There was one prize for those that listed a specific post and this will go to Kathy (because she is a local reader, I totally changed my mine on what her prize will be) look forward to seeing a post about that prize in July. The second prize goes to the random winner from the rest of the commenters and that prize goes to Mollie. Congratulations to both of you, I will send you both an email with details!

Looking forward to sharing my garden and garden of life with you for many more years!

12 comments:

Marigene said...

Congratulations on 4 years, Marsha! Wonder if I will make it that long...
The hummingbird pictures are outstanding, it is so hard to get really good ones, the are so tiny and fast.

Richard said...

Happy 4th Marsha. Don't have a favorite...love them all.

Darla said...

Well crap! Guess that's what happens when you can't get around to everyone....congrats to the winners. I personally love all of your garden walk posts, but you already knew that, didn't you? lol

Wanda said...

Congratulation on 4 years and so many wonderful posts and pictures.

Want to start your day our right...come visit Marsha.

SavoringTime in the Kitchen said...

Happy 4th blog anniversary, Marsha! What a lovely post you shared. I've loved all of your garden and bird shots over the years!

Vetsy said...

Happy 4th anniversary, Marshall Wow! four years!

When I first discovered blog spot last year, it was your beautiful header with that lovely green Hummer that attracted me to your blog post and I have been intrigued by your lovely garden and wild life every since.

I don't have a favorite either, I think that most every thing you post is beautiful..

Keep up the Good work ~ Vetsy

Debbie@Mountain Breaths said...

Happy 4th blog anniversary, Marsha! You captured the hummers with perfection. I've enjoyed all of your garden and bird photos during the four years you have been blogging!

Foley said...

4 years - unbelievable!! I need to take the time and go back to some of the first ones since I have only known you for a couple of those years!
Love the photos of the hummingbirds..they look so delicate...
Here's to the next four!
Congrats to the winners!!

Simple Home said...

These hummingbird photos are incredible! Congratulations to you for 4 years and congratulations to the winner :-)
Blessings,
Marcia

Mollie said...

Totally agree with Wanda's comment: Want to start your day out right--come visit Marsha and her garden! And also photos of her travels around the countryside. It's a gift to be sure.

Mollie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Carol said...

Congratulations, Marsha, yours was the first blog I regularly followed and I've learned so much, and enjoyed all your posts and friendship and look forward to many more years of posts and friendship :)