Monday, December 07, 2009

Mosaic Monday...Como Park Conservatory

I'm really beginning to love Monday's so I can join the mosaic party hosted by Mary at the Little Red House. Click HERE to see Mary's Vintage White Christmas and many more wonderful mosaics contributed by a talented group of bloggers.

On Saturday, I had a wonderful sister day with Renae and we visited the Como Park Conservatory in St. Paul, MN. Como Park is a large park complex with beautifully landscaped grounds, a small zoo and the conservatory. Admission is free but they have signs asking for a $2 adult or a $1 child donation. I hadn't visited since my kids were young and we went to the zoo but it was so nice this weekend that I'll definitely be back next summer to enjoy the outside gardens and zoo. I'll have to pull out my giraffe purse again to blend in :)We left the cold December outdoors and stepped into the tropics. Immediately we had to take off our coats and wait for the camera lens to unfog. Our first stop was the sunken garden for the holiday flower show. They change the display in this area several times a year and this was the first day of the holiday flower show after they had replanted from the autumn display.
There were many different varieties of poinsettias, hibiscus and begonias in all sizes and colors.
From there we went into the huge domed area where the trees are so tall they are about to touch the roof! We were in the tropics for the 3 remaining display areas and all the tropical fruits, flowers and orchids were stunning and gorgeous.



We saw this sign in the "spice" room, it looks like chocolate was loved for a long time :) I took this photo to remind you all...
to join me for the holiday party next week.
I will try to have Mr. Linky up on my kitchen blog the evening of Tuesday, Dec 15th and I hope everyone comes and joins in. I can't wait to see all the wonderful chocolate covered creations.

20 comments:

Sherrie said...

Hi!
Your Mosaic's are beautiful!! What a nice trip in the middle of winter. Have a great day!

Sherrie
A View of My Life

storyteller said...

What a MARVELOUS array of beautiful mosaics filled with lovely photographs! Thanks for sharing this most impressive display of your recent experiences with us. I love Mondays too and usually share mosaics on all three of my blogs. This week I've shared blue Southern California skies at Sacred Ruminations, interesting shadows & flowers at Happily Retired Gal and colorful pansies at Small Reflections.
Hugs and blessings,

Darla said...

This looks like a great place Marsha!!

Ruth's Photo Blog said...

Oh my goodness! This place is stunning.Your mosaics are soooo beautiful.
Blessings,Ruth

Millie said...

Such a beautiful post...those orchids are stunning...and the poinsettias...oh, my!!

My name is Riet said...

Wow, beautiful mosaics of all those gorgeous flowers,

Maggie said...

Such beautiful flowers and wonderful mosaics, each one better than the last. The poinsettias & the bird of paradise (?) took my breath away.
Have a great week.
Maggie

Jennifer Boyle Penney said...

I love the Como Park Conservatory! Back when I was living in Minneapolis I did a couple of model shoots there and the light is absolutely amazing.

Gorgeous shots--I love the one with the purple flowers hanging from the top of the frame with the little bit of lens flare behind them.

Judith @ Lavender Cottage said...

Nice mosaics - the flower colours are beautiful.

Wildflowerhouse said...

Thanks for the memories When I lived in MN I would always go to Como Park and the lake. I loved the conservatory and the paddle boats at the lake.Sharon

From the Old InkWell said...

Wow! Such lovely flowers! What a wonderful trip this must have been. Like your header too!

Carol said...

Your mosaic was a feast for the eyes! What a beautiful place to visit!

Cynthia said...

What a fun and beautiful place to visit ... I've only been to St. Paul once and missed the conservatory and the zoo. The conservatory building is GORGEOUS and what beautiful displays of flowers and plants. Wonderful pics, Marsha ...

SavoringTime in the Kitchen said...

What a glorious place, Marsha. The architecture and flowers are beautiful. I would love visiting a place like that! So pretty, inside and out.

Carol said...

wow, Marsha, what a really cool place! Your mosaics are super, very pretty flowers! Thanks for taking us along on the trip :)

Jayne said...

Oh, all those beautiful flowers in December! Makes me smile all over Marsha. :c)

RuthieJ said...

I haven't been to the Como Park Conservatory in years, but I saw on KARE-11 last week they had all the poinsettias out for the holidays. Beautiful pictures Marsha, glad you had a fun time.

Kate/High Altitude Gardening said...

Hi!
Found you through 'A Corner Garden' and what a find it is!! I'm an ex-Minnesotan. Lived for many years just 2 miles down the road from the Como Conservatory. You've captured it so beautifully. I miss that place... Thanks for sharing. :))

ChrisJ said...

Your photos are fabulous! Como park has come a long way since we lived there (early 70's). I wonder, do they still have the zoo?

Dirt Princess said...

That will warm you up! All of those blooms! Very nice! I would love to visit there! that place is unreal