5 months ago
Friday, November 06, 2009
enjoyment...part two
Since my enjoyment post yesterday of watching the end of the season bird bathing was popular, I give you part two...a little goldie (sorry this one is so picture heavy but they are so interesting to watch in all their poses).


I am so glad I planted the service berry tree behind the rock last fall as most of the smaller birds land there immediately after their bath to preen. The first thing they do is brush their beak back and forth on a branch...
and then start preening feathers...

something always needs a good scratch...
and you have to make sure your privates are clean.
Don't forget your legs...
or the rest of these feathers.


All preened and fluffed and looking mighty handsome...
but then he goes back for more!
The splashing begins...


and ends...
and he flies up to a more photogenic branch for the beak brushing.
It looks like there was just one area that needed a little extra cleaning this time...

I hope you enjoyed :)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
18 comments:
Hi Marsha
Yes, I did enjoy the pictures. I'm wondering if you use a tripod when you photograph?
Hahaha.....he is so sweet! I just love his expression on the second to last photo of him in the water. It's perfect!
I did enjoy that. What good camera action. I loved watching them with you. So cute. I just found that I have a bird nest in one of my artificial plants on my fron porch. A little family is living in it.
Your photos are incredible! We don't have any birds like this around here, but I do enjoy our little sparrows.
Blessings,
Marcia
Thanks that was fun.
Blessings,Ruth
What a little cutie!
Oh what great photos you captured! He is so cute! How in the world do you ever get these photos without scaring him away? I loved the play-by-play. Now I'm going to look at yesterday's post, which I missed. laurie
Cute plump little finch..your photos are fantastic!
But I think we discussed this before...you're turning into a peeping tom!! LMAO
These photos are wonderful -- really made me smile. Our gold finches do the same thing but i could never get photos like those!
It's hard to get me to giggle in the mornings, you did it! This is a GREAT post, I dearly love it!!
What a joy to watch them!!
Your patience is phenomenal! The pictures are incredible. How did you get the goldfinch to stay and not fly away. Were you hidden?
April
I love to watch birds bathing! I always hope to get some goldfinches in the winter. You have some wonderful photos! A zoom lens for my camera is on my wishlist!
Blessings,
Lorilee
How sweet is that!!!
Amazing photos Marsha. I've never had the opportunity to watch them that close.
Oh, Marsha ... what a wonderful story your pictures tell. I'm afraid that I could spend way too much time just watching the birds bathe.
Oh, I loved it. Thank you so much for sharing. I love birds!
Hello Marsha I haven't been around for a bit but I am so happy that I found my way back here! I love every post of yours but I must say particularly the wonderful bird bathing photos. We have lots and lots of blue jays (not this post I know, but the day before) and I just want to say how much I enjoy this Goldie and your Blue Jays. Thank you.
Post a Comment